The trial n errors of fructose intolerance

HI THERE,MY 5YR OLD SON HAS FRUCTOSE INTOLERANCE DIAGNOSED 2YRS AGO.IT SEEMS LITTLE IS KNOWN ABOUT IT BY DIETITIANS AND GP’S ETC.ITS US AS PARENTS THAT ARE THE EXPERTS!IM EXCITED JUST ORDERED HIM SOME LOW FRUCTOSE COOKIES ETC FROM GERMANY SEE FRUSANO WEB SITE.IS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WITH A YOUNG CHILD WITH F.I?

My son was diagnosed around age 4 and is now 14. You’re right that in general the medical community does not have a lot to offer.

How was your son diagnosed?

Does he have any aversion to sweet tasting foods?

I am a fructose-intolerant adult and the medical community has never been helpful, with the exception of my son’s first pediatrician. (I was terrified that he would inherit it, so she looked it up for me.) I still can’t get over the time I was in the hospital and asked for a fructose-free meal, so they sent me a fruit plate!

It is tough because people don’t understand much about sugar or sweeteners, or even food in general. My daughter and I also have food allergies, and we run into the same problems there. You will have to educate yourself and your son. It also helps if he dislikes the taste of sugar. It does help that more and more people and restaurants are becoming aware of food allergies and they are getting used to people asking what is in their food. (I always end up interrogating the waiter/waitress when I eat out, because that is the only way I feel justified in sending something back when I take one bite and discover it is full of sugar that was not mentioned in the description.)

One of my big problems at fast food places is with white bread and hamburger buns–they seem to be getting sweeter and sweeter these days. So I end up ordering chicken instead. That way I also avoid catsup and mayonnaise. But the last time I ordered chicken strips, I asked for hot mustard to go with them and I was given honey mustard instead. Avoid all barbecue sauces because most of them contain honey or molasses.

I am on my way to my 5th visit to Disney World, which I like in part because at their restaurants, the chef will talk to you and let you know exactly what is in the food! And if you can’t have an ingredient, they will often prepare it without!