Thymectomy?

My 20 year old daughter just got diagnosed with MG and we are questioning if she should get the thymectomy? She does not have a growth on her Thymus but question if it will help or not? If anyone will respond those who have had and not had it out will be appreciated to give us insight!

Thank you!!

First of all, has your daughter seen a neurologist? Has she consulted with a
cardiovascular/thoracic surgeon? Also, what sort of films have been taken,
to look at her thymus gland? Anything, short of CAT scan, may not reveal the
true state of her thymus gland; i.e., for instance, I had an x-ray, which did
not show my thymus gland at all. Also, when I had a CAT scan, it showed that
my thymus gland was “enlarged;” however, when my surgeon performed thymectomy,
it was found I had thymoma (tumor), the “size of a pear.”

Most neurologists and surgeons will recommend thymectomy–especially, for
such a young female. Also, it is well-known that a person who undergoes
thymectomy has a 75-85% chance of remission in 4-6 years.

Please feel free to contact me, with any further questions, and I will do my
best to answer them! I know thymectomy is a frightening concept–it was to
me, too–but I came through it with flying colors, and I was 40 years old at the
time.

Kim Houlihan
kimhouli@aol.com (mailto:kimhouli@aol.com)

************************************** See what’s free at http://www.aol.com.

First of all, has your daughter seen a neurologist? Has she consulted with a cardiovascular/thoracic surgeon? Also, what sort of films have been taken, to look at her thymus gland? Anything, short of CAT scan, may not reveal the true state of her thymus gland; i.e., for instance, I had an x-ray, which did not show my thymus gland at all. Also, when I had a CAT scan, it showed that my thymus gland was “enlarged;” however, when my surgeon performed thymectomy, it was found I had thymoma (tumor), the “size of a pear.”

Most neurologists and surgeons will recommend thymectomy–especially, for such a young female. Also, it is well-known that a person who undergoes thymectomy has a 75-85% chance of remission in 4-6 years.

Thymectomy is recommended–whether or not there is presence of thymoma. In all the literature I’ve read–and, especially, what my neurologist has told me–they aren’t sure why, but the thymus gland plays an important role in M.G.

Please feel free to contact me, with any further questions, and I will do my best to answer them! I know thymectomy is a frightening concept–it was to me, too–but I came through it with flying colors, and I was 40 years old at the time.

Kim Houlihan
kimhouli@aol.com

I did not have a growth or an enlarged thymus, but I had the thymectomy anyway. It is true that results do take up to a year, but boy are they worth it. It has been about three years since, and I am working full time. I have not gone into remission, but results vary person to person. I had to stay in the hospital for about three days, but my recovery was fairly quick. I agree with Houli… see the neurologist and get the professional opinion. Good luck!!

My CT scan showed no growth or abnormality with my thymus gland either. I did decide to have the thymectomy anyway. It was enlarged.

I went into drug induced remission about 3 1/2 years after my surgery. Was it because of the thymectomy? No one can answer that but I’m sure glad I had it and gave myself a better chance of going into remission.

I pray that you and your dd make the right decision for you. Research and talk to the doctors. I’d be happy to answer about any questions you might have about the surgery. I’ll be on vacation until July 1st though…

Be well.
Blessings,
Connie