Time for the hospital?

How do you know when it’s time to be admitted into the hospital?

Today during my therapy session my therapist suggested that it might be time for me to go to the hospital. I just don’t know. I feel that I have to do so many things and if I’m not here to do them who will? But then again I just can’t seem to shake this depression.

I’ve been to the hospital once before but I vaguely remember much of the reasoning behind the admittance it’s a blur so for any of you who have been to the hospital more than once how did you know it was time to go?

THIS IS ONE THAT IS REALLY HARD FOR ME TO TALK ABOUT.WHEN YOU ARE TOTALY HELPLESS AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS NOT HELPING. YOU ARE IN CONTROLLED INVIROMENT. WHEN I LEFT AFTER THREE WEEKS,IT WAS A LITTLE SCAREY FOR ME TO BE ALONE. BUT YOU HAVE SOMETHING I DID NOT HAVE. YOU HAVE CAREPLACE…YOU SOUND LIKR YOUR READY…GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS. IF YOU DECIDE TO GO JUST REMEMBER WE WILL BE HERE WAITING WHEN YOU RETURN…SAMMI

Thanks so much. And you’re right I do have careplace which is why I’m finding this so difficult. I just keep thinking if I have all this support then why do I need to go to the hospital.

I just don’t know what to do. But I do know I’m sick of this feeling and I’m afraid I’ll act irrationally.

LIV, THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST. YOUR THERAPIST PROBBALY KNOWS WHAT HE/SHE IS TALKING ABOUT. IF THEY FEEL IT IS TIME TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL THEN I WOULD CONSIDER IT. THINK IT OVER BEFORE YOU DO. THIS IS YOUR CHOICE. YOU NEED TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR DECISION. BIG HUGS

Thanks so much. I know she is right but the timing just doesn’t seem right. That’s why she wants me to see her everyday until I can see the psychiatrist again. My appointment isn’t until next Thursday, but I know he’ll be calling as soon as he gets my message. Perhaps then I’ll concede but I’ll try to stick it out as long as I can.

Thanks so much. I know she is right but the timing just doesn’t seem right. That’s why she wants me to see her everyday until I can see the psychiatrist again. My appointment isn’t until next Thursday, but I know he’ll be calling as soon as he gets my message. Perhaps then I’ll concede but I’ll try to stick it out as long as I can.

if the therepist thinks that it may be a time for some in patient care then it is most likley what is best, I have been several times one of them was involentary so please please do not ever let it come to that. At first I didnt think it was the right place but after a day of crying bymyself in the hospital I relized that I was in the right place, and even after you leave recovery takes time and a good therepist is a blessing. Good luck with what choice that you make and lots of hugs.

Thank you. Everyone has been helpful. And you’re right if the therapist is suggesting it then it must be time.
Ill let you all know what happens tomorrow.

Maybe I’ll wake up feeling great!

GOOD LUCK LIV. SENDING YOU BIG HUGS AND SOME SUNKIST IF IT WILL HELP!!!

I have never been to the hospital to date, but if you trust and have a good relationship with your therapist, I would absolutely listen to his/her recommendations… we cannot see how bad things are when we are the patient, that’s why we need professional’s to guide us at times - I am sure your therapist has legitimate concerns, and is stating this out of caring for your health and well-being… good luck to you, and we’ll be here when you get back :slight_smile:

LIV sending you lots of prayers and big hugs.

~ For those of you who HAVE been hospitalized, could you share your story and what prompted the hospitalization? I mean, how did you end up there and what was it like? how long did you stay? did it help? ~ hugs ~

I have been to the hospital twice both times bcs i was not safe to be by myself. Where I live however, there are no worthwhile hospitals. No therapy or counseling goes on there. The hospitals are simply holding pens until the meds kick in. So for me I have promised my husband no more hospitals bcs it upsets him so much. And I can stay in bed for the few days until the meds kick in and stay safe that way.

I do have friends in other areas of the country where the phospitals are very helpful, and I would not hesitate to go to one of those if my therapist or pdoc thought it was needed. When I am very depressed, my thought processes are not always clear so I would trust them instead.

Hope this helps. Nand

Nand ~ you hit the nail on the head when you said that when your depression is so bad your thought processes aren’t very good so you trust your doctor/therapist. I think this is one of the reasons I posted here yesterday. Many of you know what I"m going through so I needed some insight from those of you who understand.

It’s easy for my therapist to suggest it’s time for me to go to the hospital (which is a great place to be ~ not the typical run of the mill) but for now I’ve opted to hang in there. If things change and I decide to admit myself I’ll be sure to post before I go. I wouldn’t want any of you dear friends to worry.