Traveling with Achalasia

Hi All,
I thought I would tell you about my recent travels. I had a very interesting time traveling overseas since now there is a restriction on carry on bottled drinks. As you know water is key to many of us. Well I flew Virgin to London and when I got on the place and asked for extra water they had a FIT!! They said I should have asked for a special diet and after a 20 minute lecture from the flight supervisor another passenger said very loudly “are you fighting with that lady about WATER. I will never fly Virgin again”. Needless to say, I got LOTS of water.

So as we traveled I practically had to beg for water (or pay for refills). Then I got the joy of the return trip. I called Virgin Special services and told them what I was told. They told me they had never heard of ANYONE with swalloing problems and no one every requested WATER. I told them I never had a problem when I could carry on water and I was not about to pay 3.00 a liter for water after I got through security.

They finally agreed to put a note on the meal schedule for me.

That did not help!! When I got on I still had a long discussion with the stewardess and finally got extra little bottles of water. Then I moved seats (the plane was virtual empty and with this kind of treatment I know why)
and they had a fit. I asked for water and the stewardess took forever to come back. I had to run to the bathroom choking and throwing up before she got back. I was livid, in tears and almost hysterical. In the end I think over 30 people on the flight made some sort of written statement of complaint because stewardesses let a simple request for water get way out of hand.

So here’s my question. Does anyone else hve this problem or is this just Virgin?

Hi,

We had a really early flight on US airways before the memorial day weekend and the stores were closed so I could not get water.

They came around and I requested a sprite because the carbonation helps me and they gave me this little cup. Then I asked if I could have a bottle of water, they only wanted to give me a little cup again. I even explained why I needed the bottle. It didn’t seem to get me anywhere and I let it go because I had some water, but I didn’t want to stress myself out and bring on a spasm so I kept pressing the button for water. 2nd time I did it she was crankly and that’s when I yelled I have a medical condition which requires I have water at all times in case of a medical emergency. That got everyone’s attention and I won my water bottle. :slight_smile:

On the way back, the stores were open so I avoided the whole make a scene on vacation and bought a bottle of water and soda at the gate.

I’m so sorry you had a bad flight experience. When did airlines get so cheap? Their price tickets haven’t gotten cheaper!

Lisbeth

Well, I had another flight with Virgin. I got on the plane and started to explainmy situation and the stewardess (who was the same one from the previous flight) said “oh I know all about this” then preceeded to run off and come back with a large bottle of water.

That was really the only time I saw that stewardess…LOL Virgin is amazing. First they gave meal trays to the children Then they serve us then the stewardesses went and ate there own meals in the galley…leaving the dirty trays with us for over an hour and a half. Then we did not see them until breakfast. We could not ask them anything, get any assistance, nothing!! I have never seen anything like it. They did not even pick up trash at the end of the flight. The plan was filthy. I was truly amazed at how horrible they were this time. But I did get water!