Types of exercise

I was wondering if your doctors recommended any particular type exercises to do or avoid? I’ve been a member of Curves for 3 yrs. It has made a big difference in the way I feel both physically & mentally. My doctor didn’t advise me one way or the other about continuing with Curves other than saying any exercise like jogging wouldn’t be good. Thanks!

I’m surprised that your doctor didn’t send you to a well trained physical therapist to get you started on a spinal pt program of exercises.

It’s very important to learn the proper exercises to strenghthen you back muslces, move correctly and not overdo.

In my experience and those of many other people that I know, most ortho docs as well as neurosurgeons do not like or approve of Curves. They do not have trained physical therapists to aid their clients in the proper usuage of their muscles, proper warm up exercises, cool down exercises, and what is appropriate and not appropriate exercise for a individual person.

I know my docs would never OK curves for anyone. They see lots of injuries from people that go to curves. Anything from simple sprains to lots of ligament and tendon injures, tennis elbow, golfers elbow, torn maniscus, rotator cuff injuries, joint dislocations. Many of these require surgery.

When I was doing PT rehab after my spinal surgery, there where many patients there recovering from some really nasty injuries they got at Curves.

I would talk with your doc about an order for physical therapy and for sure would stay away from Curves with your back problems. I’d stay away from them for good, actually.

Fran

Hi,
Due to the level of my post-polio I am limited to very gentle
stretching exercises and to the use of my home neck traction only. I
suggestion would to see a Physical Therapist that is knowledgeable
concerning polio and post-polio.

Take Care,
Linda

On Aug 19, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Sadie Z wrote:

question, have you ever heard of any kind of help (beside pain management)
that can help with pain for someone that has sever spinal stinosis???

----- Original Message -----
From: “ldokc” spinal-stenosis-cpt5651@lists.careplace.com
To: chicknjo@alltel.net
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: [spinal-stenosis] Types of exercise

I’m no expert, but I suffered from spinal stenosis for six years before
getting the correct diagnosis and surgery. I had my laminectomy on July 23 ( a
month ago!), and my legs have been free of pain since the day after my operation.
A laminectomy can be risky, so get good references on your surgeon.

Prior to surgery, I had unimaginable pain in my legs for those six years. My
doctors ordered up all sorts of tests, including bone scans of my legs and
xrays, which turned up nothing. Finally, my doctor sent me for an MRI of my
spine, which of course gave us the correct diagnosis.

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

I had a lumbar laminectomy on July 16th. I believe it was due to 12 years of playing competitive football.
After the surgery I was told not to sit, stand or lie down for more than 30 minutes at a time until my post -operative exam. The procedure resulted in more than the disc between L-4 and L-5. The surgeon, upon entering the area discovered that the discs between L-2 and L-3, L-3 and L-4 also needed cleaning up. So that is what he did allowing the nerves to settle in without binding or pressure.
I tried to stay down as much as I could. My mind said yes, but my back said no.
After three weeks I began physical therapy. It consists of walking in the tread mill for 15 minutes, stationary bike for 15 minutes, and various stretching exercises targeting my ham-string, hips and back. The later, I concede is the most beneficial.
I can tell you that the pain running down my right hip to my foot is gone. Now the pain is localized to my back. This, I am told will fade away. It is very tired at the end of the day. I work in an office so just working the computer and phone is laborious.
I do have a numbing sensation on the top of my right thigh to my knee. This too will go away in 6 months to a year. The best description that was offered was that my nerves are angry! LOL
Well, this is the most of it up to today. I leave you hopeful for a full recovery.
I’d be happy to ask any relative questions if you would like to e-mail me.
pst2@insightbb.com
Best Wishes,
Paul Scott

You need to see a spinal doc for diagnosis of the cause of your spinal stenosis. There are several different causes and that would determine the type of surgery you would need to have.

I suggest a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon that specializes in spines.

I had surgery for spinal stenosis a years ago, decompression laminotomy at the L5,L5,S1 and have been fine since.
It’s a wonderful feeling to be pain free.

If pain managment isn’t working for you, the only alternatives you have are to suffer or have surgery.

I would also suggest that once you’ve seen one doc for surgery options, that you get at least one other opinion before you decide on what to do and don’t be afraid to get more than one other opinion.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Fran

I am no expert, having had my laminectomy just a month ago. Before my
surgery, nothing helped the pain. It was overwhelming and ruining my life. The day
after surgery, relief was complete, with no pain in my legs. I am still
recovering from the pain in my back from the surgery, but that is simple pain, not
the white hot pain I experienced prior to surgery.

************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

I have to agree w/ Fran, of sunhineagain. Second opinions {or third or fourth} are important in any medical decision making. But that’s especially true when considering surgery. Although surgery can have spectacular success, it can also have spectacular failure! Even though I’m a physician, I’ve also had considerable experience at the other end of the stick - as the patient. As one consults with more and more docs, results may be more rewarding. And it’s not necessarily that you’ve found a better doc; as patients we probably get better at relating our symptom complex as we gain experience.