Understanding Bi-polar

Hi, my oldest son,24 has been diagnosed with Bi-polar and he’s almost died after a anti-depressant overdose. He is recovering at my sister’s house but won’t be able to stay there forever and I fear when he leaves there he’ll go right back to the way he was before…any advice on how to help him?

Hi, hope this might help:
http://www.coulditbebipolar.com Lots of information for you to read. Rember to listen without judgement, there is no ryme or reason, no shame or discrimination mental health problems can affect anyone at anytime.

Mindy, you must have your privacy lock on. I can’t post you privately.

I have a just “turned 25 last week year old” son whose a little farther along in the process (of bipolar). I see I can’t click on your name. Message me back if you want to talk.

Hi, Robsmom…yes I want to write you back…could you tell me about your son and his progress? My son, Buddy, was staying at my sister’s but basically didn’t want to follow the rules and now he’s at a half-way house…so not sure of the outcome of this but there is nothing I can do but to support him and give him encouragement and see what happens…please write back!! Mindy

Hi there Hold on in there its not this bad forever. Find out as much as you can from the Doctors believe it or not they can be quite helpfull if you show an intersest. The the hard part to help him he needs to help himself but with lots of support I personally dont think i would be here today if it was not for my mother and father supporting me so much. He needs to learn what is good for him. For a while he may feel so low he will not want to do any thing but as time passes it will improve I was so embarresed and my confidence was shattered but gradually i started to go out no matter how uncomftorble it was. Working is important! to find a job that is constructive and not to dull to keep busy. Hobbies Diet and execise for me are all important to keep a good balance I have had just to episodes both with an exterme high and long low but touch wood due to support from close ones I have been stable for 3 years and running a buisness ask gp about sodium valporate?

Hi, Red27, unfortunately I am not with my son…he’s in the states and I am in the UK but I’m trying to support him as much as possible long distance…there just isn’t any way he come here to live with me due to immigration regulations. I just don’t know how to get him to understand that drugs and things aren’t the way to go and he needs to get his life in order and get the help that is offered and advice that has been given over and over again…any advice would be helpful…thanks, Mindy
What happens when he doesn’t listen about keeping to his medication and being truthful to the doctors and people trying to help him??

It looks like you’ll have to pm me, or I can’t speak to you privately.