Valtrex

Just curious if anyone here is taking the drug Valtrex to combat their EBV…?
My numbers where in the 2000s and my adnoids and lymph nodes were so swollen that they were squeezing my voice box and my thyroid…pretty bad case…so my doc and my immunoligist got together and put me on 1gram a day of Valtrex…this is only my third day and am wondering if anyone has had success with this drug…?? they want to suppress my immune system so the swelling will go down in my throat and my system will calm down…They are just guessing and im feeling like a guinne pig…
anyway any thoughts?
Valtrex is used for people with herpes or shingles…Ebv is a herpes virus (for those who dont know)
Cj

I have heard of people using valtrex, but never heard how it worked out. Keep us posted. Good Luck.

I know this was posted a very long time ago, but I use Valtrex for my EBV episodes, as does my mother. We both think it works and sems to shorten our recovery times. If nothing else, it at least helps me mentally by knowing I’m taking something to treat it.

I am on Valtrex for EBV, I was very ill for over 2 years, with no explanation as why, until my PCP did an EBV test and my numbers were very high !! She sent me to an immunologist who just said I had to live with it and there was no treatment, I did not believe her. I was also seen by an infectious diease Dr, who told me the same thing. I found out on my own that EBV is the herpies simplex virus, or in the same family, and I have friends I knew who took Valtrex for treatment, so I went back to my Dr and asked if I could try it, what could it hurt I was so ill and had no quality of life at that point. She said why not, and started me on 500mg 3 times per day, I went through that bottle, I felt some relief, not huge but enough to know something was a little better, then I asked her if a low dose given once per day might work as a treatment by some chance, like people take their blood pressure medicine… She did not know, but was willing to try it, I asked her, if it seemed reasonable to think that an antiviral, would lower the viral load in the body, and might work as a treatment for EBV, she said she had never used it like that, and didn’t know but was willing to try it, so she has had me on 500mg once a day now for almost 5 and 1/2 months, and I am so much better than I was it is unbeleivale !! I am no longer living with feeling so sick I honestly was sure I was slowly dying it was so severe !! When I was finally feeling good enough to get out of bed, start moving around a little, getting my strength back, it took a while, but I got there, it’s amazing what feeling better can do !! I have even started riding my Motorcycle again, which I had given up all hope of doing again !! Anyway, I began searching for more answers I found a Dr Lerner, I just was googling everything and I typed in… Long Term Use Of Valtrex.In EBV Cases… And found what he had done and his report, please it is worth reading !! I don’t know the website, just google what I said and look for Dr Martin Lerner, just make sure the last name is Lerner, and the subject of the report is about EBV,CFS, etc… And Valtrex !! I understand allot if it, but some of it is rather difficult since I am 53 and only have a 6th grade education, and about the only thing I know well is how to tend Bar, since that’s all I’ve done my whole life, and ride my Harley’s. but please all of you google what I wrote and check it out !! I was so excited to even know there was a Dr who has used Valtrex for EBV, CFS, and other related things and had a high success rate of marked improvement to people feeling absolutly normal again, and able to return to work, and got their lives back !! I can’t return to work, due to other health issues, but, with the use of Valtrex, I am no longer in the grip of that awful sickness I woke up to everyday for over 2 years, it may not work for everyone, he mentions 25 percent were non responders, but also they were not on the treatment as long either, and I know it might not work in every case, but my prayer is that it will work, and help people who are suffering with EBV, it’s working for me, and I thought nothing would !! The immuneologist I saw, and The infectious diease Dr I saw, were wrong. I am hearing through allot of people that some Drs are not willing to try the Valtrex as a treatment, this makes me sad, maybe by showing them Dr Lerner’s results in using it, will convince them to try it. I also learned to anyone using Valtrex as a long term treatment for EBV and CFS, or whatever your taking it for, drink allot if water !!! Keep your kidneys hydrated, and water flushes the Liver as well, and have your kidney and liver functions tested at least every 3 to 6 months, that’s what I’m doing, I don’t know exactly how often it should be checked, the 3 to six months just seems a reasonable amount of time to me. I hope this information helps you all that are suffering with EBV, CFS, etc… I would be so happy to hear that it has, like it has for me… Thank God I have a PCP, who was just willing to step outside the box and try something she had never done, nor ever heard of even using Valtrex for EBV… I can’t wait for my fallow up appointment with the immunologist I saw who said it would not work !! She will be in shock at the person she saw 7 months ago, and the person she will see next week !! I hope it will change her mind and she won’t tell anyone else ( they just have to live with EBV, nothing can be done ) and maybe she will start treating people who are suffering with it, with the Valtrex treatment plan. I know I wrote a novel here, but I’m just hoping this information will help you all who suffer from EBV, CFS, and whatever else that’s connected to this virus, that Valtrex might help you get better… Truly BikerPam59