Vascular surgeons

I’ve been having word , memory problems, I can’y find the word I want when i’ve used it many times etc. I had carotis dissection/TIA about a year and a half ago.I noticed that it’s getting progressivly worse in last few months. I posted similar message on “sister site"and others seem to have this too.My Dh simplt thinks that it’s age related I’m only 49.I have a follow-up with my neuro this week and am writing list of ?'s.I’m wonderingwould vascular surgeon be a dr I should see? Or would he/she only be consulted when surgery is needed?I remember another member on other forum called it"word salad” !I really feel stupid when this happens and it’s effecting my self esteem. Thanks for listening. Lorraine

I have the same problem. I will be talking to someone and I am sitting there scratching the numb spot that itches on top of my head saying, "uh, hmm, uh, well, you know, … that word…, LOL.
Gina

Has there been any studies done in regards to memory loss and FMD…that anyone knows of?

Since we just seem to get random dx on our memory problems, from (ugh) aging, to blockages, to alzheimers,etc.

Just curious…I don’t really expect it to be something that we can halt.

I try to not accept a “bus-stop answer” from a physician… These answers come to a physicians mind with the speed and ease that a stranger at a bus stop might have answering your questions! - Maybe you are not loosing it… or just getting old.

Well, you should probably be seen by a neurologist to see if you have any neurological defecit. - there are neurologists who specialize in language/cognition… and there are specific types of aphasias invovling word finding, and a talented neurologist or perhaps a neuropsychologist can distinguish aphasias from simply loosing it every now and then. word salad is very different as well - but it is a funny phrase to use.

I hope your visit to the neurologist is good- if you aren’t happy with the opinion, they can refer you to a neuropsychologist who does very prcise testing of language and cognitive ability.

I too have such a severe memory and word problem ( I posted about this too). I went to a neuro who felt it was " early cognitive dysfunction" HA HA…I did not go back. I do not have early alzheimers and this was a stretch from this neuro. I refused further test’s and medication.
My pcp feels it is somehow fmd related but then again he thinks every thing is.
It is nice to know that in our memory decline we are not alone, though we may not remember each other, we are not alone.
My doc said to do word games and things to challenge my mind. It is so frustrating though to constantly not remember…I wish I could get back my dating and marrying of my husband but that is only for picture memories now.

Well I wont whine any more but just know your memory loss is not an age thing …we are all too young for it to be age.

Have a great day.

Hi sunry thanks for the reply. You can whine anytime you want! Hey it’s not whining it’s venting LOL. I did have my neuro appointment. She really didn’t address the memory issue … I had bad heachache and I guess that was main concern so eneded up giving me shot of tramdol to break the headache(that was a new one for me) It did help but here I am with no more info once again. She told me if headache continued we’d schedual MRA ealier ( due in Oct).Now for the funny part I was driving to her office and had a moment when I truly could not remember how to get there. I’ve been there a number of times. Talk about frustrating…lol I’d better get out my word search puzzles !! Lorraine

Hey guys…

Well, I don’t have FMD in carotids…(at least to my knowledge)…but I HAVE ALWAYS had problems with memory, and…words coming out the way i think they s hould? My brain seems to speed along so much faster than I’m able to articulate?

Kind of an interesting Subject going on re our sister site (yahoo fmd) on stress in FMD’ers…

What I hate is when I’m listening to a person, and…it’s almost
like I have a petit mal seizure? I ozone out! And then come too…and I have to come up with something like “yeah, but”…and pray whatever comes out of my mouth sounds half way sane?

Betty

It can be so scary at those times when you can’t remember where you are going. Sometimes I leave to do errands and then I call my husband to ask where it is I am suppose to go.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that your MRA will not be bad.
Mine was good and I am very thankful. Anyway I am off to play scrabble to increase my brain power.

Have a good day