Vlp

What and how are you all who have this treating it?

Yes, I too have VLP and using Clobetesol and a Lidocaine @ 10% ointment compounded works for me. I really agree that stress really can put me into an episode.

I have had VLP and OLP for several years. I was lucky enough to find a dermatologist who knows a great deal about these conditions. She prescribed a topical ointment called Clobetasol, and also Protopic. These are to be used sparingly and under a doctor’s supervision. They really helped. If you google "lichen planus’ you’ll find quite a bit of information that’s very helpful.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply - I have done quite a lot of research, but not having
a scientific background, struggle to understand the processes which create
this condition. I have found Protopic useful but not for the mouth or other
mucosal areas. From what I read on the net, you can also only use
Clobetasol externally (?). I have used Clobetasol scalp lotion and found it
extremely effective.

Carmel

I treat my lichen planus with UVA treatments twice a week, Eucerin Aquaphor daily and skin bleachers prescripted by my doctor to help remove the scarring. So far everything is good but I agree when I experience alot of stress my skin flams back up.

I too have O & VLP~have been prescribed Clobetisol and Protopic. However, I am struggeling now (my 2nd time in 2 yrs) with an episode that won’t seem to clear. I feel myself get better and then wham… I start to feel that “peppers-prayed” feeling in my mouth again.
I also recently read (online) that Protopic has been recalled by the FDA due to causing cancer.
I have never been told that either shouldn’t be used inside of the mouth or vagina? Eeeeeks!
I am really feeling like this is stress driven. I am also doing some herbs to strenghten my immune system. However, my overall health is superb. My only issue, is that I have been under tremendous stress now for 3 years.
I’m making every attempt to take better care of myself and destress as often as I can.
LP has totally left me stumped as to where it all comes from and the cure. Neither of these medications is easy to take orally.
For me it’s tough to eat, drink, and brush my teeth. Among other things:(
I have also considered that I was having a reaction for Vicodine at one time. However, I think that I have blown that theory out of the water, as I am experiencing continuation orally that leaves me baffeled to the whole thing.

hi,thanks for your reply. stress is i think the main factor for many skin
problems,but i have also read that there is a white t cell that comes into the
skin and creates inflammation. i to wish there were a solution to LP,ITS A
NASTY THING FOR ANYONE TO HAVE. I FIND MYSELF HIDDING IN THE BACK GARDEN SO WHEN
THE SUN IS SHINNING I CAN DO SUN BATHING AND NO ONE CAN SEE WHAT MY LEGS
LOOK LIKE. WELL I HOPE YOU DONT HAVE TO SUFFER A LIFE TIME WITH LP.TAKE CARE AND
TRY NOT TO STRESS OUT IN YOUR LIFE.REGARDS JIM.G

Hi All,

I think that I just found the culprit…or part of it.

I have been taking vitamin supplements…AKA Fish oil, fats, etc.
One in particular that is the only thing that I did 2 years ago too.
I have discontinued its use and I am immediately feeling better? I
think mine has been a reaction to perhaps a not so clean source of
supplements.

Any one else take vitamins or supplements?

My Brother-in-law researched this when my sister got the oral strain. She
has been taking vitamin D and it has helped her. I have it on my arms and it
cleared up with the vitamin D, then I thought it was giving me hot flashes
and I stopped and it flared up again so, I am back on the vitamin D. Try it.
Can’t hurt, might help.

************************************** Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

ive just about tried everything,but nothing works,maybe one day i will be
free from LP .HOPE YOU SOLVED THE PILL PROBLEM.JIMMY G

My wife is the one with Lichen Planus. She is going to participate in a Clinical Study conducted in conjunction with many of the major medical schools and Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York to see if a drug called ENBREL which is used for Psoriasis will work.

we all hope that one day there will be a cure,i wish your wife every sucsees
in the trials.jim g.