Weight loss w/2nd Ileostomy

Got pull-thru 2 mo’s ago and a 2nd ileostomy to allow rectum to heal. Joshua has actually lost weight. Did anyone notice or experience that the 2nd ileostomy (the temporary one to allow for healing) empties way quicker , and no success with weight gain, actually experienced weight loss? Take down is scheduled for tomorrow and then hopefully he will gain.

My son had the same temporary ostomy for 3 months and fortunatly we did not loose any weight. I did read that sometimes kiddos can loose weight depending on how far in the small intestine they go to make the stoma. I hope that everything has gone smoothly with your son’s reconnect.

The only thing I notice is my son looses weight during his hospital stays since they are often more than a week long and many of the time are NPO. My son has always been on the smaller end of the scale but he does eventually (slowly) gain back the weight he lost. My son had a colostomy so I don’t know if that makes a difference either? Does your son have long segment HD? I know some HD kids with long or total segment HD have trouble retaining nutrients in food maybe it might be something to discuss with the doc?
Janel
mom to 5 yr old Tyler (SSHD dx 1/08, pull-thru 5/08 & ostomy take down 6/08)

ÂÂ
ÂÂ
"Very little is needed to make life happy. It is all within yourself, your way of thinking."~Marcus Aurelius
ÂÂ
ÂÂ

— On Tue, 8/12/08, geremy hirschsprungs-cpt10037@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Subject: [hirschsprungs] weight loss w/2nd Ileostomy
To: ajberchielli@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 8:07 PM

Hugs little Joshua. My Tyler had some issues too, it takes time for their tummies to settle back down in the beginning.
Janel

ÂÂ
ÂÂ
"Very little is needed to make life happy. It is all within yourself, your way of thinking."~Marcus Aurelius
ÂÂ
ÂÂ

— On Thu, 8/14/08, geremy hirschsprungs-cpt10037@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Subject: Re: [hirschsprungs] weight loss w/2nd Ileostomy
To: ajberchielli@yahoo.com
Date: Thursday, August 14, 2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Joshua had his ostomy take down yesterday and was doing great all night long with 1 oz of pedialyate every 3 hours. Then, this morning he began vomiting, he has lots of nauseau so doesn’t look like we’ll be graduating to milk anytime soon. We’ll keep you posted

Thanks. Tummy still really bloated w/trapped gas. That really slows down progress. Still trying to get his appetite back. Take care, Geremy

To: geremychavez@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [hirschsprungs] weight loss w/2nd Ileostomy
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:11:35 -0400

It’s been two weeks since pull-thru. WOW! After not eating for 3 days w/the ileostomy reveral surgery, Joshua still managed to gain almost 2 lbs. This is our first weight gain in 2.5 mo’s! I hope everyone who’s experiencing poor weight gain w/ileostomy will experience weight gain for their little one after their pull-thru. The pull-thru solved our problem.

Hi AAron didn’t loose weight with the illeostomy because he loved to eat soooo much and never had a tummy ache. It was hard for him to gain weight though. And same thing as others are finding that hosptial stays usually result in weight loss. Our most recent stay was for a closure but ended up with another emergency surgery and a colostomy this time. I’ll be interested to see how his weight does with this. This hosptial stay took 3 1/2 pounds off our little guy. I hate being able to count his ribs so easily. I hope things are going well for u. Best of luck.