What can i do to help a friend?

I am going into my sophmore year in high school and just this morning i found out one of my greatest friends had an MRI done and tey found a malignant tumor. I am very scared because i don’t want to lose her, she is the nicest kindest person in the world. So what can i do to help her and her family out?

My son was diagnosed with a brain tumor 8 years ago, and he is doing great now. We know so many teenagers who are diagnosed with malignant and non-malignant tumors, and most of them respond very well to the treatments that are available today. I know how scared you are, and I’m sure that your friend and her family feel the same way. But you must never lose hope, because your friend will need your positive attitude as she deals with the many doctor appointments and treatments that she’ll be having. Today there is so much hope for young people diagnosed with cancer, and the more you learn about it the better you’ll feel. My son had two surgeries and radiation therapy when he was 12 years old, and today he is a healthy 20-yr-old going to college away from home. Some of his friends stopped coming to see him when they found out about his cancer, and it was very hurtful to him. So I hope you’ll continue to support your friend and let her know that you care about her – that’s the greatest gift you could possibly give to her and her family.
With warmest wishes,
Mary (Danny’s Mom)

I am so sorry to hear this. Brain tumor treatment has come along way in the past few years. There are more success stories that ever before.

Tell your friend to contact the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. They have literature and family support. Ask for Jennifer Causey, the on staff social worker. www.pbtfus.org

Hugs,
Kathy

My daughter McKenna was diagnosed 2 years ago she has gone through so many changes she was this petite littes girl to a heavy girl with very little growth ( the begnine ) tumor was in the pituritary area

-------------- Original message --------------

Try to be as supportive as possible. I too recently found out about my dad’s tumor. Be a friend to your friend. Listen to her,try to remain positive. I know it’s hard to. My dad, according to the doctors estimate, will die in 12-13 months. Be the best friend you can to her. Hope this helps, like you, i’m new to this situation. Sorry your friend is sick. ED