What can I expect at the GI visit?

We’re going to be seeing the gastorentologist on Thursday. The office told me to have Kaitlin’s medical records sent over to their office so the dr. can review them prior to the appointment. What can I expect at this appointment? Will it be pretty general and consist of discussing her symptoms and an exam? Will an abdominal x-ray probably be done? How far out are procedures such a colonoscopy and biopsy scheduled? If they suspect Hirschsprungs are they scheduled pretty quickly or could we be looking at waiting weeks to have it done?

I’m getting sooo nervous about this appointment. After doing research and talking to people I actually think it’s extremely likely she has Hirschsprungs. There’s just too much that sounds like her and the whole thing of her having no reaction whatsoever to even a rectal exam strikes me as being very suspicious. It’s so nerve wracking and scary, you know?

Becca

My son hasnt been diagnosed yet/or not will be, but he will be having a biopsy next month. He is 2 and this has been a long and uncomfertable 2years. He hasnt gone on his own since 4 months when I started supplementing formula. He has had lot’s of blood tests and other test’s and they all came out normal. This, I think , is our last test to come up w/ an answer. He has waardenburg syndrome type 2 and hirschprung’s can be affiliated w/ it (Type 4). We have seen our GI for a year now and she has an appointment for us to talk to the surgeon who does the biopsy; and from there he will schedule the biopsy (dont know how far out). My son has never had an abdonimal x-ray but he has had 2 barium enemas @4mnths & 20mnths) and both came out no sign of hirschprungs, which makes me think that we might not get a diagnosis for this. But his symptoms totally point to this, in my opinion. Our GI listens us explain what seems to go on w/ him; how he’s reacting; symptoms; how often “he goes”; than she will give us advice on how to make him more comfortable. The GI was a lot more helpful than his primary ped. Sad, but primary ped has been thinking it was behavioral which made me not really push for answers because I thought "maybe it is behavioral and my son is causing this(he now says something is definitely physicaly wrong). I feel so sad for my son because I cant really help him and he is uncomfartable several times a month. I hope you get answers soon. Ask the GI all questions that you may have, it will help things a long.