What I'm I to do

My family especailly my mom don’t understand my illness. I have been up for several weeks and the last week I’ve started on the severe depression and the downside to bipolar and all she can do is critize me and tell me how sad I look in a(sarcastic way)

I’m on lithium, lamitcal, trazadone for my bipolar. I’m also taking xanax for anxiety.

She says she’d be devastaded and wouldn’t know what to do if anything every happened to me (killing myself). I’ve tried before and was hospitalized for 30 day several years ago.

I’m suicidal now and have been for some time. I don’t believe that she would be unable to deal with my death. She’d get over it.

I’m thinking of stopping taking my meds. Right now they aren’t helping.

Simply, I’m ready to give up.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this.I thik that unless family or friends have the disease they just don’t understand it at all.After 15 years of marriage and 11 years bi-polar,my husband STILL insists that my cuts and breakdowns are ‘psychobabble’ and I’m fine.I’m just glad that I have found forums like this to help me.

Take care,and holler if you neeed me!!

Huggs,
WillowRose

You know, I understand how you feel. Even though my family tries to understand being bipolar, I don’t feel they don’t.
I’m at a point where I want to go off all my meds too, as none of them seem to be working right now. I’m not on the right cocktail. I don’t have insurance, and have to go to a clinic where I can get my meds for free, but they don’t carry the meds my pdoc wants to put me on. So, to get past all the hassles, I should just go off all of them. I’m not manic right now however am fighting depression at times, sometimes all day. I’m a rapid cycler, so you know what that means.
Any way, I did find a advocate company for those of us with no insurance; and hopefully that will help me in my dilemna.
I guess the best way to find understanding for our illness is in here, where there are those that have bipolar just like we do in one form or another. But one of the things I’ve told people about being bipolar, “do you really think I would choose to be as miserable as I am at times if I could?” “or do you think I would choose to be awake so long if I had a choice?” Sometimes that kind of stops them in their tracks. But I do believe they want to stay in denial about our illness, whether it is a genetic thing or a pride thing.

I’m sorry to hear about your issues with your mom. She sounds like she’s in denial about your illness. I know what that’s like.

When my hubby and I got married (2004), I went into a downward spiral within a year of living together. I was hit with a series of really ‘bad’ events. I was already on meds for depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc. but wasn’t diagnosed with BPII yet. Hubby didn’t think I needed to take all these meds - “nobody needs that crap, it’s all a pharmaceutical scam.” OK, I went off my meds and was a total bitch and depressed to the max … to the point of telling him I’d rather be dead to live such a miserable existence. That was enough to convince him that my meds are definitely needed.

When I finally hooked up with a knowledgeable and caring pdoc, I was diagnosed with BPII and was prescribed the correct cocktail of meds, but hubby denied I have BP. He just doesn’t understand what I’m going through inside myself - just like your mom. It’s easier for outsiders to ‘see’ our illness and how serious it really is.

It’s hard enough to deal with mental illness and even harder when your family doesn’t know how to deal with it. Some folks think it’s our choice to be UP and DOWN all the time and we can control our moods if we try hard enough. As we all know, it’s not like that.

Have you told her you’d like to have a serious talk about your feelings/needs and how she makes you feel? There’s a really good book (that’s easy to read) that might help educate your mom (and you) on BP disorder. It’s called, “Bipolar Disorder for Dummies.” I ordered mine on Amazon.com and it wasn’t expensive.

I wish you peace and am sending you lots of big hugs. Take care! :wink: