What is a Laminectomy

what is a Laminectomy

I did a little research, and this is what I found as the definition of a laminectomy, in response to your email.  I hope it is helpful.  - JJA  Lumbar laminectomy (open decompression)   Similar to a microdecompression, a lumbar laminectomy (open decompression) is a surgical procedure that is performed to alleviate pain caused by neural impingement. The laminectomy surgery is designed to remove a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root to give the nerve root more space and a better healing environment.  A laminectomy is effective to decrease pain and improve function for patients with lumbar spinal stenosis . Spinal stenosis is caused by degenerative changes that result in enlargement of the facet joints. The enlarged joints then place pressure on the nerves, and this pressure may be effectively relieved with a lumbar laminectomy. 

Laminectomy surgical procedure

The lumbar laminectomy (open decompression) differs from a microdiscectomy in that the incision is longer and there is more muscle stripping.
· First, the back is approached through a two-inch to five-inch long incision in the midline of the back and the left and right back muscles (erector spinae) are dissected off the lamina on both sides and at multiple levels.
· After the spine is approached, the lamina is removed (laminectomy) which allows visualization of the nerve roots.
· The facet joints, which are directly over the nerve roots, may then be undercut (trimmed) to give the nerve roots more room.

Post-operatively, patients are in the hospital for one to three days, and the individual patient’s mobilization (return to normal activity) is largely dependent on his/her pre-operative condition and age. Directly following the procedure, patients are encouraged to walk. However, it is recommended that patients avoid excessive bending, lifting or twisting for six weeks in order to avoid pulling on the suture line before it heals.

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.