Wow! Meniere's Disease!

I was at the Doctors office on the 13th. I was talking with my doctor about my medical history, inquiring if he was sent the papers for disability. He told me he did not receive them yet. He told me I should call them to find out why they havent sent them. First off, does anyone know where I can find the Disability Determination Services Bureau phone numbers for the state of Iowa? Like a dummy, I didnt write down the numbers from the paperwork, and I mailed them back. I thought the numbers would be on some of the other paperwork but they are not.

Anyway, my doctor was looking through my history, and I was telling him about some of the symptoms I have had, and he came up with a chance I could have Meniere’s disease. I have had a constant ringing in my left ear since April 2004 to present. It doesnt go away. It sometimes gets louder or softer, but doesnt go away. That coulped with my dizziness, fatigue, and pressure in my ears, brought out that possiblity.

Why didnt anyone else ever suspect this? I told several doctors about this right after my surgery, and they took tests and said everthing was ok. I have had hearing tests, and they came back fine. I complained of a hearing loss, right after the surgery, and the ringing that doesnt go away, but the doctor said that was normal. Constant ringing in your ears is normal? My family doctor couldnt find anything but diagnosed me with depression. HMMMMM

Anyway, I will be pissed if my so called anxiety, panic attacks were caused by meniere’s disease, and noone could find it. My life has been a rollercoaster ride with only one steep drop that never ends. Ok there have been a few ups, but very few and very short.

If I can prove that my problems started after my surgery, that should make a good lawsuit.

I dont know much about menieres disease, just a little I have read online. If there is anyone who has had or knows info on this disease, please post what you know. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET SOME INFORMATION ONLINE. SOUNDS LIKE A REAL MESS-UP WITH THE DOCTORS. MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOUR DISABILITY CLAIM.SORRY I CANT BE OF MORE HELP BUT YOU KNOW YOU HAVE FRIENDS HERE IF YOU NEED US.

Wow! your response came at a weird time. I just had the biggest fight with my wife yesterday and my body just shut down. I slept 24 out of the last 28 hours. Unreal! I believe the stress of the situation caused this. I dont know for sure if I even have menieres disease or syndrome but the symtoms seem to match. I have anxiety and panic attacks, but havent had a panic attack in about 5 months, and have had 6 anxiety attacks since Jan. 4th.

I have filed for disability, but am waiting for a decision. my family is at wits end. We have no money to pay bills and will soon get kicked out of our duplex. We have no where to go. I have no job, and if i get a job it most likely wouldnt last long. The last 2 jobs i had lasted 1 week each. Thats why i filed for disability.

I dont know what to do!!! I just found out that my wife doesnt believe me or support me in my stuggles. My own sister thinks i am making this up. my wife and sister just says I need to get a job and forget disability, because i probably wont get it. We are talking divorce and she has already said she is taking the kids away. I have nowhere to go and havent the slightest idea what to do.

the doctors and psyciatrists cant find the right meds to work.

I cant talk anymore i am having another attack. I will try to get on here later. I have more to say.

From what I understand anxiety and depression are associated with having Meniere’s disease:

“It was shown that Meniere patients had more daily stressors, used certain coping strategies less often, and had more psychopathology (e.g. anxiety and depression), and a worse quality of life compared to healthy reference groups. No abnormalities in personality were found. Patients with more severe symptoms had more psychopathology and a worse quality of life than patients with mild symptoms.”

This was recently published in a journal from the Netherlands. Int J Audiol. 2006 Sep;45(9):496-502.

As far as your surgery causing the Meniere’s, what was the surgery you are talking about? I would imagine that if it could have affected the inner ear then it would be more likely to cause Meniere’s.

From The US National Library of Medicine. Medline Plus.
“The exact cause of Meniere’s disease is unknown. In some cases, it may be related to middle ear infection (otitis media), syphilis, or head injury. Other risk factors include recent viral illness, respiratory infection, stress, fatigue, use of prescription or nonprescription drugs including aspirin, and a history of allergies, smoking, and alcohol use. There may be genetic risk factors as well.”

I’m just giving you a background to hopefully aid in your understanding. I have no experience with the condition and trust that your doctor is the best to answer these sorts of questions.

Thanks Wags for your reply.
I had surgery on my nose in April of 2004. It was to straighten a crooked (septum?) (not sure if spelled correctly). I was having problems with ear infections, upper respiratory infections, and broncitis, so my doctor referred me to an ENT. But, when I had my surgery, they decided to also put tubes in my ears. They did it without my permission, but I am sure they had good reason.
Anyway, since the first day after surgery to this day, I have had a constant, loud ringing in my left ear. There have been times when I had ringing in both ears, but mainly the left ear. The doctor said that was normal, but I disagree. Is it normal to have constant ringing in your ear?

The anxiety seemed to start around the same time as the surgery. I have told many doctors this, but they all reassure me that it is all normal, and the anxiety is unrelated to the surgery. I have requested many times to get hypnotized, to maybe see if the surgery caused a traumatic event, or maybe find out why I am having anxiety and panic attacks, but they either dont offer it, or they feel hypnotism wont help or find the problem. That has made me very frustrated.

I don’t know if I have Menieres disease or not. I just wish the doctors could pinpoint whatever it is, so I can try to get on with my life.

Now, let me address my previous post. Wow, I must have had a bad attack, Because I cant believe I wrote that. Me and my wife had a fight. It was a bigger fight than usual, but I shouldnt have got that upset. Everything is better now, we still have financial problems, but it is better. My wife does Ebay, andwe are doing better than we have in the past. We are falling behind in bills, but I think we can catch up. If I get the disability, I am confident we can make the bills, and a little stress will be lifted.

I am sorry if my post scared anyone. But that was the way I felt at the time. I really thought it was over. It may be close to being over, but I will fight to stay afloat.

Also, I talked to the person who is doing my case, and He said he has enough information to file the review. I hope he gets enough info from my job experiences. He told me he would file it on Friday. I dont know how long it takes from there, but it is getting closer.

Thanks to all…

I have Meniere’s disease… I have had this for 17 years… Menieres is only in one ear… ringing, pressure, dizziness are all symptoms of the disease…  you should go to a doctor that deals with this disorder… if you want more information about this disease feel free to e-mail me…      dcovington@insightbb.com