Is anyone able to detect their own odor?

I was just wondering if anyone is able to detect their own odor when it happens? I’m not able to detect it which makes it really frustrating.

Sometimes i can and im like omg, thats effin disgusting, then i cant and then others do and they say it. Lately ive been able to smell myself. Its horrible
-----Original Message-----
From: Shaun Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:32:23
To:aaron.tur@gmail.com
Subject: [trimethylaminuria] Is anyone able to detect their own odor?

Most of the time I can’t either except my urine is very strong; usually I
can tell by a funny “taste” in my mouth but I don’t think I sense it in the
same way as others. Stinkiy

From: Shaun [mailto:Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:32 PM
To: joycedreyfuss@verizon.net
Subject: [trimethylaminuria] Is anyone able to detect their own odor?

I cant either and my family keeps reassuring me they cant smell anything. but everywhere i go people just start sneezing/coughing/sniffing. so i just KNOW they smell something. but when i get home and try to detect the smell from the clothes i just wore, it often smells of perfume or detergent. Im pretty sure its not what all those people smell.

So in addition to this question: CAN YOU DETECT THE SMELL ON YOUR CLOTHES AFTER A LONG DAY?

If after a long day and right after i take them off i can very slightly, but if i lay them out and smell them a little later or the next day they arent too bad. I still throw them in the wash. Even if i only wear something for a few hours. I dont buy expensive shoes. If i do i dont wear them often.
From: Marikit Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com

Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 00:36:23
To:aaron.tur@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [trimethylaminuria] Is anyone able to detect their own
odor?

This is more frustrating. I really can smell nothing. I just got off from bed, havent taken a shower yet and trying to smell my skin closely and i cant get anything. im thinking maybe im just so used to it that im like immune to the smell already. but another thought is that maybe im going crazy. But i cant just imagine people having sneezing fits all the time.

i smell so bad its pitiful,i dont know exactly where the odor is coming from,i feel like it’s coming out of my but hole, i dont know,maybe my skin,everyone talks about me and call me names like skunk, i have excessive gas, i smell like feces, and when i use the bathroom it smells like fish, it’s horrible being me,

cherylmadison@sbcglobal.net
916-344-5849

I often have those feelings about my self and althrough they are quiet true.
I try to remember that what ever is going on I did not do it to my self. I
have recently left the work place due to the reasons mention below. I really
tried to be strong but at some point I just said enough is enough. I tried
to work with doctors but nobody want to put people out on disability these
day. I also took the TMA test, it came back negative. So someone explain to
me what is going on and how come this things has effect my life. Some people
believe me when I tell them what is going on and for the most part some do
not. I just decided it is better that I stop trying to explain to people
what I’m going through, they don’t get it.

Yes, at times I do smell it and it is horrible, the pits, and for a women it
is extra bad because we are suppose to smell sweet not like garage or poop.
Hang in there. leaving the work force has help alot in the amount of stress
that I was going through but now how will the bills get paid. I don’t have
the answer for this one but I know someone who do…

Penelope

On 1/25/08, auset Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Yes, but it took me a long time to work out it was me, because it would come and go. Its just like a lingering (sometimes much worse) smell that I seem to leave behind in rooms, or catch just as I walk through a door like in a shop or classroom. I hate it. Its always the same smell so I eventually figured that I was the cause. The days when I cannot detect it I try to forget about it, but when I can detect it it taunts me the whole day and I cannot be natural around my friends.
Sometimes its really bad for a few seconds and I try to believe it could not possibly be me until my friend says ‘What’s that awful smell?’ and I feel like dying. Do you reckon she actually doesn’t realise its me or is she dropping a hint/being downright nasty?

Interestingly enough, some people with tmau are able to smell themselves, while others canot.? Also, there is a significant percentage of people who cannot smell me either… My family and many friends have never noticed a smell on me, while others are so offended and repulsed by my smell…

From: dani23 Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com
To: stephrabin@aol.com
Sent: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 9:35 am
Subject: Re: [trimethylaminuria] Is anyone able to detect their own odor?

Maybe you, your family members, and close friends are desensitzed to your malodors. I am reminded of when I adopted an abandoned kitten. My nose was very sensitive to his body odor, breath, urine odor, and solid waste during the first few weeks. After a few weeks, I became desensitized to my kitty’s odors; his odors are now the least things on my mind, and I hardly notice the same odors.

I am still sensitive to my own body odors, and I know that my odors vary based on my diet, my choice of shampoos and body washes, and my hormonal changes. Since being on the low-choline diet for years, I know that my odors are less pungent and offensive.

For me this isnt the se…there was a time when I met all of my friends.? THere was a time when I met my husband, and even then, he never noticed…

From: Martha804 Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com
To: stephrabin@aol.com
Sent: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 3:43 pm
Subject: Re: [trimethylaminuria] Is anyone able to detect their own odor?

Each person perceives odor differently just as each person perceives taste differently. Besides being desensitized to our odors, we ourselves and some people around us may have a disorder of the olfaction:

Anosmia - lack of ability to smell
Hyposmia - decreased ability to smell
Phantosmia - “hallucinated smell”, often unpleasant in nature
Dysosmia - things smell differently than they should
Hyperosmia - an abnormally acute sense of smell

A QUESTION OR TWO FOR ALL: If a person suffers from TMAU, dimethylglycinuria (DMGu), or some other incurable disease/disorder causing uncontrollable malodors, what good would it do to smell one’s own odor? If you could, would you ever leave your home to work or socialize with others?

Hi what is it you eat? im finding it hard to find foods low in choline> To: olu23@hotmail.com> From: Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com> Subject: Re: [trimethylaminuria] Is anyone able to detect their own odor?> Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 07:26:45 -0400> >

I am unable to smell it. My family can’t smell it but co-workers comment it. I don’t know how to handle dealing with it. I started taking chlorophyll and watching my food intake. I wish I had a list of the foods I should it verses the foods not to eat. I am very much into playing sports but I am afraid to play now because it could secreet from my pores from sweating.

I have tried an allorganic diet and it has definetely reduced the odour, which is mainly vegetarian. This has definetely worked for me and might work for others. Processed foods worsen the problem. Also taking a combination of chlorophyll and milk thistle with the above measure had reduced the odour to near zero levels.

Bye for now

Pat Mas

To: masawip@hotmail.com> From: Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com> Subject: Re: [trimethylaminuria] Is anyone able to detect their own odor?> Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:21:00 -0400> >

hey pat, do you mind posting your exact intake? thanks, aaron

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:53 AM, patdete
Trimethylaminuria-cpt6946@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Yeah I can sometimes but I dont think I can smell it as strong as others can.

bill

Not at all.

I have had to live with having a fecal odor since I was 10. I am not able to smell myself because my body and my sense of smell have become accustomed to the odor. That is what makes this so terrible. Some days I get up, take a shower and leave the house hoping and praying that I do not smell. Than I get to work and whenever I walk by some people frown or cough. So to those of you who think you are crazy you are not you have just become accustomed to your scent.