Cannabis for Migraines

Has anyone tried smoking for migraines?

It’s not a preventative, it’s not a cure. But it sure does help the pain when you have tried everything else. I have a prescription and use it when nothing else works, even opiates. I use it reponsibly, and I belive that it has many uses in the medical field that are ignored just due to the “stigma” which is really a shame.

I know others that smoking helps thier migraines immensly.

Hi-I am new here, but I have to say that I agree with you BonBon that cannabis has major benefits for people suffering from migraines. I wouldn’t have survived all these years of migraines without cannabis.

You are really on top of the latest research. I 've read this too. I hope the medical use of Marijuana is passed and supported in states. Migraines are incredibly painful and interrupt life in the worst of ways. Thanks for posting this, I hope it begins to open eyes and hearts to this responsible use.

Not only does it completely take away the naseau, but it also takes away the pounding intense pain where i am ready to scream so that the pain level at least comes down to where I am not ready to “kill” and can possibly relax enough to let the medicine that I do take “work”.

Bon-Your wishes must be magic because I woke up this morning migraine free! Thank god because 4 days is about all I can take without seeking medical assistance…But on the subject at hand, I wouldn’t have survived the past 4 days without the assistance of cannabis…

I’ve had 2 days of intense migraines requiring shots to knock them back long enough to rest only to have it come back. I want to have my head cinched into some type of vice grip the pain is so bad…
tonight the rain started. I don’t even need to watch the news any more to know when it’s going to rain. My head is engaged ready for a full scale one tonight. … bring your magic herb Bon and heal me…

Ah River…I feel for you. I have had several this month also, requiring shots. I absolutely HATE them when they get so bad. You can’t even describe to someone that doesn’t get them what it is like.

Then I had this dumb ass doc questioning me about did i do this, did i do that, she has my whole chart, just give me the stupid shot and let me go.

Dragonfly, I knew there were more of us out there, and I wish that it was TOTALLY legal, becuase I truely believe that this is one thing that the government needs to act upon. Cannibas can help SOOOO many people with different diseases and it is such a shame to have it be illegal when someone can go and buy alcohol. What does that cure?

My migraines when they get bad scare me really bad, the bad ones, scare me of what i will do one day.

I think it is ridiculous that alcohol is legal and cannabis isn’t. In my personal experience I have seen alcohol cause so much torment and ruin so many people’s lives (and my first marriage) and yet cannabis has so many medical benefits and our government won’t legalize it.

On record Cannabis hasn’t caused the death of anyone where alcohol and ciggarettes have. It’s political.
I’ve had doctors and nurses leave me in the bright light and icy cold of an ER with an emesis basin to vomit in, waiting to see if I showed signs of a drug addict as if I could fake the level of pain. Thank goodness those days have changed.
I worry what the swelling and constricting of my brain blood vessels during an attack and the chemical impact of the drugs holding blood vessels stable against their will to stop an attack are going to hurt me… But in the throws of a migraine well, I’d do anything it seems.

Bon how long have you had yours?
same question to you DragonFly?

I also have tried smoking for migraines.It helps to dull the pain and take away the nausea.It also helps to relax me,which I think is good because stress is a HUGE factor in my migraines.
And yes I think it should become legal.My mother has had a series of strokes where the left main artery is now completely blocked due to smoking regular cigarettes.I have never heard of this happening to a person who smoked pot.And of course tobacco is legal.What gives???

I have had migraines for about 36 years. I have tried everything and been a guinea pig for countless neuro guys. They have never found the cause of mine, never really been able to control them.

So I am doomed to wait. I hope that mine will go away like the rest of the women in my family, when menopause passes, but that is about here, and they are still here, so I am about to give up that hope.

Usually my migraines do NOT go away until I take something extremely potent for them. They can last 2-3 weeks or longer. It’s so frustrating. Your get to the point where you just want to pull your hair out, don’t you?

I know I get to the point where I will try anything…I have had my current migraine since Saturday, and I am ready to scream (but it would hurt too much)…

I agree with you…you get to the point after awhile when you have had one where you just want the pain to stop. Anything. That is when i really get frustrated, I feel out of control, I get scared. I don’t know what to do. I can’t be strong. I need someone to take control and help me, but here is no one. I feel so helpless and scared.

I am so sorry dragonfly…i hope you wake up and yours is gone. I feel for you so much. I really, really hope that you feel better soon!

Dragonfly,big huggs to you.I started to get one tonite-right in the middle
of playing Rock Band with my 15 year old.try singing alternative rock when
your heading is pounding!!!
I took the Fioracet for it,and it’s down considerably,but I still have the
remnants.I am soooo hopoing you feel better soon.To quote my good friend
BonBon-MIGRAINES SUCK!!!

Lots of huggs and LOTS of Hersheys to you sweetie,
Cleta

**************Psssst…Have you heard the news? There’s a new fashion blog,
plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.
(http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)

LOL Cleta-You don’t have to whisper anymore-day 2 without a migraine…I am ready to join you in playing “Rock Band”…do they have any Linkin Park? :slight_smile:

You know i can’t watch ANY tv at all when i get a migraine or have one. It just sets sometning off in my head. I don’t know what it is. I tell that to my husband, and he says ok, turn the tv off. Then he just sits there. SIlent. He doesn’t read or anything, he just sits there. In silence. He doesn’t do anything and the clock ticks. i HATE IT. It makes me feel soooo guilty. I wish he would go do something, or let me go in the other bedroom and lay down there, but NO, he wants to be there with me.

I can play video games though, and that doesn’t bother me. I can play loud rock music, that doesn’t bother me. Only the TV, and that is all HE does. So, of course that leads to me getting VERY testy, like i am NOW, and it ends in a big fight.

So i am on day 8 of this migraine and have been working, taking my mom on our long awaiting vacation, and hiding it all the time. Now i don’t think i can take it tooo much longer. Geez. I hope this one goes away soon. I am starting to get really desperate. Yes, the smoking helps, but i only can do that once i get home from work. Am I counting the hours and minutes, YES! It still won’t help enough when it is this bad though.

God Bon-I am so sorry…and I know what it is like to be in the situation where you have so many migraines that other people take it for granted and expect you to carry on like any other day…Hugs and please feel better soon!

Hey BonBon,I thought I was the only one that could listen to loud music and
play video games with a migraine.Nice to know that I’m not alone!!!
You made my night believe it or not-lol. =)

Huggs and Styx(and Journey too!!),
Cleta

Ha, I’ve been called much worse than Bob before! I;m still working on getting rid of this.

Not much else to do now but wait, and hope that the migraine fairy takes it away soon!

Try a legal Rx med called Marinol (it has all the chemical benefits of Marijuana/Cannibis but is a pill and just needs a doctor’s Rx). It helps with terrible nausea (from migraines, pancreatitis, other diseases) and appetite as well as pain control. The down side from my experience is that I don’t like feeling ‘altered’ from meds and you do get some of the same effects as Cannibis would cause.

Best of luck-- Hope this helps!

Lisa