DD & Stress and Trauma, anyone?

Hello,

Is there any evidence etc that would suggest stress and or trauma events could increase the rate of growth?

I’m looking for evidence to support that:
A) Stress has an effect on the growth
B) Trauma has an effect on the growth
C) Would a shock to the body have an effect?

If you know of any research etc, I did a search on google, but I think I just don’t know how.

Please help.

Thank you

Hi Rme!

I have heard a theory here in Europe that both DD and fibromyalgia has to do with expierience of severe pain and then the signals “loop” in the brain even if the real pain is gone. The brain makes the pain it is real for us. I have understod that it is the reason why we get type Lyrica medication.

I have had severe pain att it can well fit in my life with lot of stress and pain. But something else happens also, the body begins to make lumps of fat and I have terrible bone membrane inflammations. Maybe it also comes from the brain, but Lyrica woun’t take away that pain…

If you look at Fibromyalgia studies You may find something. Some of our test results are mirror images with them… (they have low we have high)

hugs
Arieldiva

Unfortunately, I don’t think that there is anything out there that SPECIFICALLY says one thing of another that causes DD. I think it is more general or speculating. From all the articles that I have read they state cause unknown. I am sorry that this doesn’t help you in what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Oh no Pam…you mean I have another disease? I thought the buffalo hump was DD. My doctor can see it across the room but all she ever gave me for it was muscle relaxants. I have times when my neck or upper back will go into spasms that last for days. My headaches the last few days are on the left and coming from my neck (buffalo hump). The CPAP makes me lie in a way that stresses my neck. I am up and down all night trying to adapt to it. I know I can do it…it is just taking a while. I am so sleepy all day I can’t keep my eyes open or do anything at all. Tired Hugs, Sylvia

Sorry. It is all anecdotal evidence. Ask any DD sufferer and we’ll tell you stress causes a flare and we have more tumors in areas of our bodies that have been traumatized. Dr H concurs, if that helps.

Hugs and spoons,
Pamela

I don’t know if this will help you but a few months ago I banged my shin not real hard but a bruise appeared and now there is a lump there where I banged it.And also when I was 16 I was thrown from a horse and although not injured badly I got a cut right above my right eye.This was sewed up and a “lump” formed in the spot.I didn’t know what this was until I started researching DD and now the whole area has a giant diffuse lump which is so heavy my eyelid is drooping down…So my theory is that trauma DOAES cause some of the DD lumps to appear…

Most likely, both of us do. These diseases are so similar, they are often mistaken for each other. This discussion happened on another site before you joined and the buffalo hump is definitely a Madelung’s thing. Dr Herbst’s website has info on that too.

Hugs and spoons,
Pamela

The trouble with Your question is word evidence. We DD patients see and learn, but it is not scientific. There is very little scientific research done on DD. Nothing really on the underlying causes… But we all know that trauma and stress is bad and means more pain and growths.

Arieldiva

I think you definitely have a point and that stress makes DD worse and the lumps come on parts of the body that are stressed. Take our buffalo humps…most of us have a very large lump below the neck on our very upper back and it extends lumps over to our shoulder. My neck always hurts and it makes it hard to turn your head. The stiffness varies with my physical activity. If I try to do anything strenuous it goes into spasms and kills me. I use hot compresses to soothe it. This is a part of the body that is stressed by looking at the computer screen or TV for a longtime. Carrying heavy things also stresses it. Most of us had a bad injury where the DD started. I was hurt in a bad fall on the ice which wrenched my back. I was assaulted and fell backwards hitting the back of my head and spraining my neck. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

I have the buffalo hump too, but that is actually a Madelung’s Disease symptom, not DD. These diseases are very closely related, though, and many of us have a combination of several.

Hugs and spoons,
Pamela

Arieldiva,

What do we have if we have both conditions? Just curious…

Hugs and spoons,
Pamela

Hi, I was reading about the buffalo hump and it is something I do have and Grdma Sylvia I also had two traumas to my head, back and neck…the computer bothers it the most and lying at night in bed. It is very sore and burns, if you look at me from the side it makes me look like my head is leanin forward and my back starts at that hump, and it also reaches out to thru the shoulders…

I have fibromyalgia which came on shortly after I had my gallbladder surgery, the old way. I noticed pain in my hips and thought it was the shots they had given me in the hospital but my Dr. in 1989 diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia and said it was probably due to the trauma and stress of the surgery. I found my first lump shortly after that in my right thigh now there are many. I too bumped my ankle in Dec. of 2007 and until early this spring it was still bruised and now there is a painful lump.

I had a terrible work related back injury that involved my upper back muscles between my shoulder blades…I was out of work for 3 years, had rehab and attended a pain clinic and today that is where I have the “bee stings” feelings and I know there are lumps there mostly on the left and intense itching…In 2005 I had MRIs that showed a demyalating disease going on and was diagnosed with MS, i fainted with exercise, lost my balance, if I turned my head I fell over to the side and was exhausted, had tingling and numbness in my left foot and then right that went up to knees.

I was treated for MS for 2 years with interferon drugs and then told when another MRI was done that the radiologists who had given the demyalating diagnosis was wrong even tho two MRIs had suggested MS, I was told it was not and that was that. I was tested 3 times for Lyme disease, two negative and one “equivocal” which means not able to determine.

I found a deer tick on me while showering and took it in to be examined and it indeed was a deer tick at which time I was tested and it was normal…

So I’m thinking now that all has been normal that it is the fibromyalgia and Dercums as my surgeries have identified it as so. I’ve had so much trauma and stress all my life that i would agree that Dercums can be affected by both.

That is just my experience with it.

hugs and love to you all,

Bev

Wow Bev, you have been through so much.  I feel for you (and all of course).  I sometimes think I have been put through the wringer but now feel I am still in the washer! LOL!  It seems like everyone has had such a long journey... I am tired already and probably have miles to go.

About the trauma question...  I can speak for myself and in my case I can definately see how my hysterectomy had an effect on my lipoma growth and pain.  Before my hysterectomy I had pain and lipomas, but after my operation it really kicked in (pain 100 times worse, painful lipomas popping up all the time)

I had an early hysterectomy (31 years old). My lipomas too went mad crazy every since. I had severe polycystic ovaries 20 cysts on left and 16 cysts on the right. They said that they tried to save my right but they couldn’t so I had a complete one. I was also have uterine problems as well. It was called Adenomyosis. I had an extremely hard time with pregnancies (5 miscarriages) and birth of twins. I was so glad that they did this. At least that pain is over.

The same thing with me, my hysterectomy kicked me into DD full force. I had problems before but not as bad. I thought the surgery would make me feel better, but just the opposite I got so much worse I wish I had not had to have it. Makes me wonder how much of DD is hormone related? Just a thought there are so many different ideas but thank GOD we have Dr. Herbst to research it for us.

Hugs,
Brennie

I don’t think it is hysterectomy in particular, but the trauma of having any major surgery. I had my hysterectomy when I was 25 in 1980, but my DD didn’t really go into overdrive until I had 2 hernia repairs, an A&P repair, a bladder sling, and rotator cuff surgery in 2001. Our bodies seem to call out the troops when they feel attacked. Steroid drugs may also be a trigger.

Hugs,
Pamela

I also had a hysterectomy at age 40. It is really something how we have so much in common. It helps me to know that I am not suffering alone. I know that a lot of the pain I have right now is from my terrible rheumatism and degenerative arthritis but they would not be so bad if I had been able to move! With the DD you can not execise. The DD demands that you not move or it will punish you. I think some of it is tied into the flight or fight response being triggered by childhood abuse or a severe physical trauma of some kind that went on for a long time. I think your body gets into this defensive posture and makes the chemicals that make our muscles tense. I am so tense all the time. I have to consciously relax my shoulders or they are rigid all of the time. I feel like I am ready to go off like a rocket all of the time and jump out of my skin. I think that is why most of the doctors think we are just fat lazy women complaining about every ache and pain. I wish they could feel our pain for just an hour. I am going to PT tomorow morning to get warm pool exercise because I am again unable to walk or sleep from the pain. Good wishes to all of you. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

Gsylvia,
I know what you mean about being tense all the time. It is physicall impossible for me to relax. And I guess my body has had enough because now shingles has set in and on my face no less, thank God I got to the doc early hopefully I will be able to avoid it getting into my eyes. And I thought everything would be great once I got past the stress of the wedding. They tell me this could be a delayed reaction the that stress. At least it happened afterwards. I am so thankful for that.

I don’t think its meant for me to work much longer either, everything works against me going to work anymore. I am not ready to give it up yet I am afraid of staying home and going into a depression.

Oh well its in Gods hands anyway I got stop worrying it is genetic defect in my family!!!Haha.

Hugs and Spoons,
Brennie

I think you are right, Sylvia. Being in fight or flight all the time puts enormous stress on the adrenals. Even now, I’m always on the edge of my seat. I can’t remember the last time I felt relaxed.
Enjoy your warm water therapy!

Hugs and spoons,
Pamela

Oh Brennie! I am so sorry you have shingles…My husband had them in the front quadrant on the left side. It started on his nose and went to his eye and brain. He went on the good medicine as soon as he broke out. The pain was intolerable. He was on the medicine for about two years and had to go get checked all the time. They have a vaccine now that lessens your chances of getting it. You should all get it if you have not. I got it as soon as my insurance would pay for it. John got his when he was doing “light duty” as he had been injured at work. They sent him to Meals on Wheels and he was doing filing. When you get older and your immune system breaks down you get shingles from the chicken pox virus which lives in your body your whole life. You can’t get shingles if you did not have chicken pox. Now they vaccinate children for chicken pox so hopefully people will not get shingles in the future. My heart goes out to you. I am so glad you got to enjoy your daughter’s wedding first. I was thrilled when my daughter got married and she had such a beautiful wedding. It was a once in a lifetime experience. The invitations were in English and Japanese. We had a miniature bride and a kimono on the other flower girl. We used Japanese flower arrangements and had a harpist at the church and for ordurve’s at the reception. We showed a “growing up video” which was so nice as it showed her husband as a little boy in Japan and coming to the US when he was six. We had steak and lasagna and 8 kinds of cake. They did a champagne march where the waiters all marched in with the trays of champagne for the toasts. She wore the old fashioned beautiful wedding dress with the lace and full skirt she had found in “Bride” magazine. This was 17 years ago and the straight dresses had not come in yet so she looked like a princess.They went to Hawaii for their honeymoon. I will never forget that day. I think I am still paying for it on my charge cards! What we won’t do for our children and grandchildren! Get better and many hugs, Grandma Sylvia