Dercums and Diabetes

Anyone with dercums, also diabetic? Has it affected your ability to control your blood sugar. I noticed my sugar readings were higher than normal around the time I started finding my lumps.

Wow, Benita, who woulda thunk it?

Yes Mike I was diagnosed 4 years ago with Impaired Fasting Glycemia, which means my blood sugar was higher than it should be but not high enough to be able to control it with meds…I have to lose erm!! weight to keep the blood sugar down…

Yes, I have diabetes also and my sugars are hard to control.

I also have type 2 diabetes and take a lot of insulin but sugar still not good. Hugs…

Hi Mike,

Yes I have DD and Diabetes. It has been extremely hard to control my diabetes even with injections plus oral medications. But we know stress and pain can lead to higher glucose levels. What could be more stressful and painful than DD?

Joan

I have Diabetes too and take Humalog and Lantus, a total of four injections a day. The worst pain is accidentally injecting a lipoma.

I have the worst time keeping my sugar regulated,
Joan

Oh JRB so that is why some shots hurt so much worse…I am hitting an alien…since my abdomen is like a chanille (sp) bedspread…no wonder! : )

Yes Grandma Sylvia, and the only think we can do is try to find a little space for the injections. I often wonder if putting insulin in the aliens does any harm.

Take care,
Joan

You know, I am not diabetic but a couple of years ago i underwent a series of injections in my knee, and oh my gosh !! It hurt it hurt ! Hubby had same injections and he was like - i don’t feel anything.

So - that must have been it. He was messing with my aliens and they didn’t like it.

Hugs and hoping you find one minute today when you dont hurt.

Calle//Carin in AZ

I too have typw 2 diabeties but sugars are in control just wish there was a med for the lumps…

Borderline here, need to lose weight and be retested in 4 months. Right, no problemo. I had a knee injection too a couple years ago, the pain was imense! I couldn’t sleep all night and will never go for another. I thought he just hit a bad spot, now I’m wondering if it’s the aliens. I’m going to be commited one day talking about aliens invading my body. 3 meals a day, relaxation, maybe something I can puch and get my anger out. hum, maybe I should give the guys in a white coat a call.

Who came up with the “alien” designation? It is great! One theory is that it is a parasite of some kind. That really creeps me out! : )

The alien thing started on the original Dercum’s group. A few of us post here, so there ya go!

If you were posting on the original Dercum’s site, then we probably were conversing way back then too! I can’t even remember what my screen name was then.

Benita

Aliens is a perfect term for the lumps, I know I feel like I have been invaded by very unfriendly Aliens!!!

Believe it or not, I did years ago on another support site. I use to tell the doctors that they were aliens and that maybe I was just an alien and my exoskeleton was starting to come thru and take over. “Alien” stuck and I’ve seen many, many others use it after I posted calling them that way back in 2002.

Benita

Wow, Benita! I didn’t know you started that! I always wondered. It fits, and I use it.

Benita…way to go girl!

When my kids were little and allergic to everything, many foods when infants then later plants, trees grass ect. I said maybe we were on the wrong planet! DD is such a cunning invader! Every time I try to do anything the aliens say “no Sylvia you will not walk/stand/ride in car/lay down in comfort or sit in comfort”.

If I could only float. The only time the pain goes away is in a very hot physical therapy pool. Then when I am climbing out and the cold hits I hurt again as I try to get dressed. If I could just live in the water the aliens could not get to me! I just need a couple hundred thousand dollars to buy a house with an indoor pool. If any of you guys ever win the lottery let me know and I will come over for a swim!!

What I really miss is being able to lie down in my bed and sleep without pain.

Hugs,
Sylvia : )

Yep! I’ve been around that long, posting on various sites. I just do Careplace and our private group now. I had more of a sense of humor then, tho I try to laugh at as much as I can now. I gave everybody permission way back when to quote me or use anything I posted as they saw fit.

Then I started seeing “alien” talk everywhere. Seems like I got in on the ground floor of that building, didn’t I? I can’t even remember which site it was it was so long ago (and so many dead brain cells from DD and meds since then).

Benita