Dyslexia Member Introductions

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community. Everyone here has something to share about Dyslexia. For the discussion boards, we ask that you keep your full name and location private.

I got my nick name when we had a youth group out of our home. My heart always go out to all ages of kids that just need some TLC, I like helping the under dog if it a anaimal in need or a human.

Anxiety creates my depression creating avoidance while alienating my “self.” Through self taught, counseling, and training I want to chop this cycle into bits and pieces while accepting the flow of positive, negative, and neutral energy which surrounds every creature on earth. I have self doubts though I can actually, finally see myself growing though life is a challenge. I am determined. I am very glad I bumped into this web page. Thank you.

Life is about health, family and friends, but sometimes its hard to keep focus on what is most important

Founder of the TransGlobal Health Community Center at http://transglobalhealth.com

I live in the northeast and suffer from seasonal depression. I basically hibernate from november until april. Besides moving, I’d really like to talk to people about how they’ve conquered their depression. I’m a really cynical person and depression has got me beat :confused:

Hi musicblond

good to see you here, I have abandoned the other forum where we used to meet.

best wishes

dolfrog

Hi Musicblond

One of the moderators was winding me up, and just had enough.
Better things to do with my life lol.

best wishes

dolfrog

My name is Trish and I have had dyslexia since grade school. I am currently taking classes at a community college here in florida. College has been areal challenge for me because of my dyslexia.

Mom to 3 sons one with a diagnosis of dylexia one I am starting to question if he has it or not and the other who luckily seems to be doing quite well in school. I am always looking for support and ideas how to help them in school and to get the right education the school owes us.

I am a parent of a 16y.o. boy with a chromosome anomaly. Along with dyslexia he has Childhood Apraxia of Speech and mild MR; which is hard to tell with his severe speech disability. Also has Executive Function Disorder and CAPD (auditory processing disorder). He is doing 4th gr. math and comprehends 8th grade materials read to him.

i was in special classes growing up. i ways just labeled LD. i dont believe they even tested me in any learning dissablity at all. i did struggle i was slow taking tests, slow in reading, slow in taking notes, had a hard time with math unless i could i saw it as a puzzle, allways good at art, and labs
until recently i thought i had add, but have talked to several people with dslexia including my ex boyfriend who felt i had it so i started reasing this book on it. and it is so right on it’s funny. it has been so frustating for me to even have conversations sometimes with people because most people just dont thinnk like me- i get misinterpeted, and sometime pople think im stupid or flakey or obserd, i just want to find more poeple who have this so i have more people who i click with, and also would like to here experiences of others as well.

I am interested in this condition because I think that I might have it.

how to perform my job effectively on day to day basis

This is very simple for me. My Daughter has been diganoised with dyslesia. She is 10 years old and in forth grade. I a looking for the best place to move so she can get the best education she deserves. I also want to edcutate the system on how common this is,and how the system should treat this no differently than if she was deaf or could not walk or many other disabilates.

I am a parent of a child with dyslexia. Would like information to make my child’s school year better.

I am dyslexic and I am inerested in talk with people who have the same problem

I am looking to find some other people who have knowledge about dyslexia. I have been concerned about my 5 year old son for 2 years and the more I research it, the more concerned I am becoming. I would like to talk with some people who are dyslexic, who are caring for someone or someone with expert advice. I look forward to meeting some new friends and hopefully I will be able to also offer some help.

Hi! I am the mom of three great kids. We found out recently, through testing that our son is dyslexic. I am trying to learn everything I can about dyslexia so that I can be the best advocate I can be for him. I am trying to learn things I can do at home to help him and how to help him feel good and confident about himself. Thanks so much!

I first became aware that I could be dyslexic when my eldest son was diagnoses ad being dyslexic at 6 years old. We had problems identifying with the existing defintion of dyslexia, and we were also beginning to go down the austitic diagnostioc route. Fortunately we came accross a well informed peadiatrician who diagnosed my son as having Auditory processing Disorder (APD) or CAPD as it was then.
APD is a listening problem, and as such is an underlying cause of dyslexia and many other communication problems, including some language processing issues.
Because there was very little information available in the UK regarding APD in 1998 when the intial diagnosis was made, I have been on an APD awareness campaign ever since. I have been clinically diagnosed as having APD as have 2 of my sons. We are all dyslexic to varying degrees depending on our degree of APD and our varying coping strategy abilities.

The further I have research these issues, the more i have discovered that we need to understand the variuous underlying causes of dyslexia, and the underlying causes of APD, so that we can begin to understand the real nature of the problems we face, and then begin to work out the coping strategies we need, or which remedial prrogram may provide the best support.

I am the mother of a 9 year old who is dyslexic and dysgraphic in Texas. He recently passed the TAKS test and has a 504 plan to assist him in the classroom.