Esophageal Cancer Member Introductions

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community. Everyone here has something to share about Esophageal Cancer. For the discussion boards, we ask that you keep your full name and location private.

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 25 years ago. It upgraded to Barrets Esophagus 15 years ago. It upgraded to dysplasia 3 years ago. It upgraded to esophageal cancer 32 months ago. I had an esophagectomy 30 months ago. One year ago my thoracic surgeon told me I have a 99 percent probability of a complete cure.

Yesterday, my radiation oncologist told me my Prostate Cancer is completely cured after 9 years of treatment.

I will continue to do followup appointments for both because in my mind neither will ever be completely gone.

I gained some experience with treatment options and recovery from esophageal cancer. Although I have little knowledge about advanced stages, I suffered through the aftereffects of the esophagectomy and may be able to offer some insight for those who are about to enter this part of life.

My husband has esophogeal cancer and had it removed last March 2006 then underwent 6 months of chemo. So far he has remained clear on scans and scopes. His father died of esophogeal cancer, so I am scared to death this will return.

My husband of 43 years was diagnosed with esophageal cancer Dec. 21, 2006. The cancer was already stage IV with metastasis to the liver and lungs. His original outlook by all the doctors was grim - in fact one doctor gave him no more than 30 days! I was finally able to get him to the Palo Alto VA, a teaching hospital that works directly with Stanford University. His first chemo was January 26th, 2007, and after his second treatment the mass in the liver had been reduce by 50% and the mass in the esophageal/gastric junction had been reduced by 25%! (A CT scan was done in March and that’s how we know how much the cancer had been reduced). It has truly been a miracle - even the doctors are amazed at how well hubby has responded to treatments. He will be getting his 7th chemo this Friday, and then on June 28th he will have another CT scan to see where we’re at. His oncologist told us in May that the liver for the first time felt totally normal - no more swelling, hardness or anything! He has gained back all of his weight (30 pounds) and is eating anything and everything. He outlook is good and we have begun to do a little traveling again. His treatments consist of Carboplatin (infusion) and Xeloda (chemo pills). The oncologist has cautioned us that this cancer is NOT curable once it has gone into the liver, but she does feel that it is going into remission. However, she told us that it WILL come back - could be 6 months, to 1 year. I can’t even think of it coming back. He feels so good compared to how he was in December! I truly thought I was losing him and was even planning his funeral in my mind - that’s how terribly sick he was. I hope my (and my husband’s) story gives hope to others here. And I would love to hear from others who have had encouraging news too.
Hugs to all,
Azzie

Just found out that I have esophagus cancer, need advice, cburtontx@aol.com

Hello everyone, my name is Theresa. My brother-in-law (Bob) was diagnosed with stage IV esophageal cancer 8 months ago. He’s been through 4 rounds of chemo and approx. 30 radiation treatments–He’s been through HELL! Scans show some improvement. Would love to hear from other survivors of this dreaded cancer. What about homeopathic remedies? Anyone had any real success with this? We’re trying everything?

I have a family member who has Esophageal Cancer and just would like to know those who have or had this and what can be done to assist them through this.

My husband was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer “EC” on December 14, 2006. It is termed as an adenocarcinoma. T3N1M0.

Andy is 45. Never smoked and only had a beer every once in awhile after a softball game. Fairly healthy.

Andy’s Chemo - 5FU, Cisplatin, Taxotere - December 27, 28, 29 2006; January 15, 16, 17; February 5, 6, 7; February 26, 27, 28; March 19, 20, 21; and April 9, 10 & 11. A total of six rounds of chemo so far. An additional round after his radiation is complete July 2, 3, 5.

After only one round of chemo Andy was able to eat without any trouble swallowing. After three rounds of chemo tests were performed and his E tumor was found to have shrunk more than 50%. He has gained 29 lbs since starting chemo and has maintained his weight throughout all treatments.

Andy’s Radiation - Started April 30 for 30 days. As of today he has two more days, June 11 and 12. While getting radiation he has also been given chemo in lower doses.

Not sure if he will have surgery or not. His next round of CT/PET/Bone Scans will be in mid-July. We will know more then.

Those of you that know, was surgery the first choice or why did the patient take radiation and chemo. I am trying to make that choice. I have been told that surgery is the best choice.

My grandmother had esophageal cancer as well as breast cancer before she passed away, and my aunt has had several skin lesions referred to as melanoma. My father, grandmother, and Aunt on my fathers side all have lupus and anxiety and depression are prevalent in everyone in my immediate family.
Yes, I am screwed. I mean I can’t do much else but laugh I suppose…

I’m just looking for information to keep myself on the ball and to watch out for things.

Hi I am Mary. I am trying to find anyone who had a T1,N1,M0 diagnosis of esophageal cancer. Surgery was a success and are now looking at an adjuvant oral chemo therapy called Xeloda. Anyone taking it? Side effects?

I just learn that my dad may have esophagus cancer.

Hi, I am interested in others experience with early symptoms of esophageal cancer or esophagitis. Is the restricted swallowing a familiar symptom? A sore throat type feeling and a dry swallowing sensation , as though there is not enough spitum to swallow or the walls of the throat are sticking together. Does this sound familiar ?

My brother (we Think) is being diagnosed with esophageal cancer. They say he has a ulcer at the base of his esophagus and stomach junction. I am trying to find out as much as I can before we meet with a oncologist and or surgeon.

My mother has just been diagnosed with cancer at the junction of the esophagus/stomach. We see the doctor tomorrow (6/12) to figure out a game plan.

Please if any of you have any info on what to ask… what to expect in the next coming weeks… anything… I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Andrea

Hi folks, this seems like a great place to get info about cancers. I am going to the Dr. tomorrow for poison ivy, eczema and difficulty swallowing. I have been on the net trying to find out why I am experiencing the swallowing thing. I have had bouts with gerd in the past but I think I have had it under control for some time now. Hopefully I am experiencing some form of sore throat and swollen glands or etc. instead of EC. I will get back and let you know what the Doc has to say. You guys hang in there. I appreciate your comments. ekim

I am almost 5 years NED (July 1, 2002-present) I was dxed on Oct 22, 2001 and had the surgery on Jan 30, 2002.

I have stage III and will start radiation and chemo on June 28, I am 62 years old

My husband has esophageal cancer (diagnosed in October 2006) He has had surgery, chemo and radiation. He is having some problems with different foods catching in his throat after he swallows. We would like to speak with other survivors about how they are coping.

Thank you.

My husband, Dr. Dan Prestridge, passed away from esophageal cancer in October, 1999. He had Barrett’s esophagitis, which I’m told can preclude one to esophageal cancer. Dan and my son is now 9 years old and has had trouble with his tummy since the day he was born. I’ve asked doctors when he can be screened for Barrett’s, and I’m told not until he is 15 or 16. Does anyone know more about this? I don’t want him to live the life with acid reflux and cancer that Dan did.