Found a Dr. in Memphis!

Ejohnson, I found a doctor for you in Memphis that can treat DD. Her is his info. Good luck sweets, I hope this information can help you. His wife is a Rheumatologist!!! How lucky is that!

George R. Woodbury,JR. MD, FAAD
Doctor Contact Information
8143 Walnut Grove Rd
Cordova TN, 38018-7270
United States

Group Practice/Hospital Affiliations
Methodist Hospitals
Baptist Memorial Hospital
St. Francis Hospital

Office Hours
Monday - Friday: 7:45 am - 4:15 pm

Website

Medical School and Year of Graduation
University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine

Residency Training
Rush Presbyterian, St. Luke’s Department of Dermatology, 1991

Specialized/Fellowship Training

Additional Practice Information
Being a Dermatologist, I specialize in disorders of the skin, hair, and nails, and I also espouse preventive health.

I grew up in Memphis, Tennessee, one of five children in a busy professional home - my mother being a practicing Dermatologist, my father an Ophthalmologist. I went to college at the University of Chicago, where I majored in Biology, then stayed there for Medical School. I did my specialty training in Dermatology at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s in Chicago, Illinois, finishing in 1991. I then went into practice in Rochester, New York for two years while my wife, Cathy Chapman, did her advanced training at Strong Memorial in Rheumatology, which is the care of arthritis and connective tissue conditions like lupus.

I am fortunate to be in a group practice - Dermatology and Rheumatology - with my wife. We share a dedicated staff of 13 employees including three managers, four nurses, and administrative clerical and billing staff who work between my primary office in the suburb of Cordova, and her primary office in East Memphis. We have been in practice together since 1993.

My practice encompasses care of traditional skin problems, including surgical removals of viral warts, moles, and skin cancers, as well as treatment of eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis. I also do skin allergy patch testing, a way of testing the skin to chemicals that commonly cause allergies, such as preservatives and fragrances. I do office phototherapy (light treatment) including PUVA for people with psoriasis and other skin conditions. And I offer Mohs Surgery which is a way of processing skin cancer specimens on-site, so as to minimize scarring.

I am active as a volunteer for local schools, in a tobacco, alcohol and street drug prevention program to encourage kids to avoid these substances for medical reasons. I am committed to quality improvement, so over a five year period we developed software for medical offices, which handles all office functions without paper. Patients like the written care plans they receive at the end of their visits. We, as the providers, like the software because it cuts down dramatically on unnecessary and redundant paperwork, so we can focus on patient care.

Insurance Information (PPO,HMO,Medicare,Medicaid,etc.):

Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee, United Healthcare, Cigna, Health Choice, Tricare, Humana, Private Healthcare Systems, Baptist & Physicians, Aetna PPO, Workers Compensation.

CGoldstein…you are an angel! How wonderful to be able to help people. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

Thank you so much…My Dr just left for India and there isnt anyone else in the office willing to help me now…God Bless you for this info

Thank You, Sylvia. I love you guys, if I can help, I want to.

If he would have asked I could have told him I have ha all kinds of tests EXCEPT the biopsies…I didn’t want to risk making more of the aliens…

Elaine,

If you do have your samples sent to Dr Herbst, make sure you contact her before hand so she can send instructions to the lab on how she wants them prepared.

I’m sorry the doctor visit wasn’t productive. Actually, doctors make more on the uninsured, as long as the patient actually pays the bill. Insurance companies negotiate a huge discount for their insured, and you don’t benefit from that. he probably figured you couldn’t afford all the necessary tests to diagnose DD though.

Hugs,
Pamela

I hate to say that going to this Dr was a waste of time but it was.He made me wait over an hour to see him and he may have spent a half hour or less with me.I think because?I am uninsured and insured patients make him more money…What did he say you ask???

Well he told me you have clusters of fat cells under the skin but I wont say its Dercums until you have them biopsied because there are 6 conditions it COULD be other than Dercums…I paid him $110.00 to learn I had fat clusters under the skin??? This man maybe good at a lot of skin things but only if you are insured…Waste of time and in the meantime this cold air has made life hell for me…I can barely walk…

Sitting is a no no as the ones in the back of my thigh are killing me to sit on them…I am going to have some removed but it will be the ones in my thighs and I am going to ship the samples to Dr Herbst…I just don’t trust ANY doctor in Memphis…I am going to be totally crippled before anyone here will help…

Sorry about all the errors in type…My on hand has alot of lumps in it and its freezing? and thats the hand I use most…The fingers are cold and its hurting me from elbow to fingertips…

Oh I am so sorry that the visit was not productive. That stinks! I wonder what the 6 things it could be are. I wish I knew how to help, but I don’t know what to do to help.
((((HUGS))))))

Ejohnson,I feel horrible.  I cannot believe that the doctor was so bad.  I talked to his office and explained the situation and they said that they were familiar with dd and that they knew how to help you.  I am so sorry.  I was hoping that they could help you.  I just don’t know what to say.

Never feel bad about trying to help others Catherine…We all know how often the doctors turn out to be losers. That doctor sounded good on paper. It is too bad money pays such a big part in our treatment. I have always had good insurance and now I have to go on Medicare so the problems begin! We better come up with some new way of handling medical care in this country. The doctors are all so harried and hurry you in and out. The good ones can’t get ahead because of the malpractice insurance they need because of the bad ones and everyone wants to blame them for everything. EJohnson…don’t loose heart…there is a good doctor for you just keep trying until you find them. Keep your spirits up! Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

One doctor I saw was honest about the way they have to rush people in and out. I told him the previous 4 doctors I had seen had just went in and out and I felt rushed and couldn’t explain all my problems… that doctor told me that if he spends more than 10 minutes with a patient it costs him money to stay in business. I always wondered why doctors rush in and out the way they do! It is sort of obvious now that one told me, but I always thought they were just high strung or drank too much coffee, haha. (I am a natural blonde by the way)

I am glad I had a friend here willing to try to help so don’t feel bad about that…I was just saying not all Drs are compassionate and caring…His visit was not at all personable…This is the first time I have ever had a Dr type the stuff he was telling me at the same time so I could take it home with me…I guess if I get the things biopsied then he will treat me but my personal Dr has already started me on the regimen Dr Herbst has on her site…

Its just not helping? and she said it probably wont until I get treatment for the lipedema…I am going Friday to see about that…I am also going to ask my regular Dr to take out the ones making life hell for me(heck that’s my whole body) but I mean the foot one and the thigh ones have GOT to go…I also want to say that stonel is doing ok…I contacted her she hasn’t been on the computer much so that’s why we didn’t hear from her…her life is as topsy turvey as the rest of our lives…Her son got thru boot camp and is training for military police and then he will be snt to Afghanistan or Iraq…Im praying for her and her family and I know you all are too…I posted this here as the Topis Fall and stonel got somehow WAYYYYYYY off the Topic

EJohnson,
I am furious with this doctor. When I called I told him that biopsies just make these horrible thing worse. I told her about how mine doubled in 2 weeks. I just want to get ont he phone and call them and ask them what the heck are they thinking. It’s like bait and switch. You say one thing to get the person in the door and bam…they do something else. don’t understand and I still feel so aweful. The doctors should feel this way for not helping, not us. I am going to write to the American Pain foundation. They are major lobbiest for us. I have been following them online and they are incredible what they do for us. I urge us all to join them. I have posted the link before but here it is. painfoundation.org

Elaine,

if you have lipedema please think more than twice about having lumos removed from your thighs and feet! I had my biopsy form my thigh before I knew about the lipedema and I can not describe all the problems I had. I developed a seroma and an infection, had to have the wound reopened and packed. I drained lymph fluid for almost 2 months! It isn’t good to cut into lipedemic legs!

Hugs and spoons,
Pamela

I am having a biopsy done tomorrow. I was already scared but now I am almost teriffied! I was worried about how much it will hurt, but now I am worried about infection and more lipoma babies. I thought surgery to remove them caused some to get more lipomas, but just a biopsy does that? Oh I sure hope it won’t be that way for me. I think I will look up biopsy so I will be more prepared for what they are going to do to me tomorrow.

Suri,

You rbiopsy shouldn’t be nearly as deep as mine. I had a full thickness biopsy for Dr H’s study. It was from skin through muscle, and taken from a lipedemic thigh under general anesthesia. That said, any surgery or trauma can bring on more aliens.

Hugs and spoon,
Pamela

I think some doctors, when they are uncertain of what’s going on, try to cover that fact by dismissing the concerns of their patients. This is how I felt about the doc in KC I saw. I have had docs that say, I don’t know but lets work on finding out.

Suri,
Don’t be scared, my friend. I had a biopsy from on on my arm and it wasn’t really a big deal. They did a core punch biopsy on my right arm. It is fine. I did have it double which I was expecting. You will be fine. If you want to give me a call, I know you are anxiety ridden I would love to chat and calm you down. I promise I can’t bite from SC. LOL

My experience about surgery…

I had a biopsy done. Every single cell the doctor missed moved and grew into another tumor.

To avoid this, he can NOT cut it before TOTALLY removing it in ONE pass. If he 'niks it AT ALL you will have more problems in 2 months or less.

These tumors love scar tissue, makes them more tendril’y.

My own experience + what others say.

Good luck.