Fructose Intolerance Member Introductions

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community. Everyone here has something to share about Fructose Intolerance. For the discussion boards, we ask that you keep your full name and location private.

Life is about health, family and friends, but sometimes its hard to keep focus on what is most important

Founder of the TransGlobal Health Community Center at http://transglobalhealth.com

I live in the northeast and suffer from seasonal depression. I basically hibernate from november until april. Besides moving, I’d really like to talk to people about how they’ve conquered their depression. I’m a really cynical person and depression has got me beat :confused:

I am celiac with dairy and fructose intolerance. I am always trying to figure out what I can and can not eat. It’s quite interesting - sorta. LOL

My son is 4 now. I’ve thought he was fructose intolerant for 3 1/2 yrs now…of course no doc will believe me. He has reflux allergy to peanuts and nuts, and is lactose intolerant. I keep coming back to the fructose over and over again every time I try something a dietician tells me to give him.
I’m looking for some ideas of corn syrup free safe foods mostly right now, and the best berries to eat.

Hi my name is Daniel. Im a 30 year old male who has had HFI since birth.

I am a 6o year old adult male. I have two Brothers with HFI and have learned to live with no sugar. I have learned too weel as I am overweight. I would like to share with others and try to convince Mothers to train their children with HFI to totaly avoid all sugar and any sugar tasting food.

I am a member of the yahoo group, and want to continue having support for my daughter and her fructose issues.

I have fructose intolerance, Celiac Disease, & problems with casein/lactose. I am looking for safe foods, more recipes, meal ideas, etc. when on such a limited diet.

I have been on a gluten free diet for over 3 years. I am so much improved, but still having problems related to sugars. Doing research on Fructose. I have bacteria overgrowth which may have been caused by fructose.

Hi, My name is Kirsten and I am Frustose Intolerant. I also have a brother and sister who are as well. It’s great to know that our condition has a name. For years we were just known as those kids that don’t like sweets and won’t eat fruit. We survive in a world where it’s not supposed to be healthy for yourself if you don’t have fruit in your diet every day. Fruit makes me sick! Sometimes even the thought of fruit makes me sick. I am just as turned off by anything even the slightest bit sweet. We all enjoy sweettarts as candy, with dextrose of course. The only vegetables we eat have to be green. I am 40 years old and my Sister is 60. We have never known the joys of chocolate and really have never cared. I embrace our odd eating habits. Take care all…

I’m Anne-Marie from Belgium.
My two kids and have CFIDS.
Today we got the results of some more tests.
We have Fructose Intolerance and lactose intolerance.
Right now we are searching out what that means for us all.
:slight_smile:

My name is Kim (34)
I’m a SAHM living in Northern NJ with my 3 1/2 yr old ds, Zachary and 2yr old dd, Ava (as well as my hubby Michael)
My ds has not been diagnosed with FI, but he has had reflux and digestive issues his entire life
He seems to benefit greatly from a low fructose diet and i am always interested in speaking with others going through the same challenges

Hi Everyone…things have been crazy busy around here to say the least…I was just taking a minute to check in and saw that you all had joined so I did as well…Hope everyone is doing well!!!

edited—> I just noticed that people were elaborating a bit more so I thought I should add a blurb for those that aren’t familiar with our story:

My son Coley is almost 4.5 yo, he was 3 months premature and we have struggled with his growth development and eating challenges ever since I stopped breast feeding. We have seen boat loads of Drs and put him though WAY too many tests that have shed NO light on his difficulties.

In September 2005 a Dr suggested that he may have a form of FI but that some things didn’t quite ‘line up’ (liver function tests, developmental delays, etc) consistently for a specific FI. But we were advised to begin restricting, and we did.

Immediately he responded, even his nocturnal seizure activity stoppped…his ‘awareness’ improved more than we could have hoped. He went off all meds (many of which included fructose as they were child formulas) and all his Drs have been AMAZED with his progress ever since.

He was tested for Aldolase B deficiency and it came back negative. That combined with his other symptoms (difficulty with fastings and some other symptoms) pointed his Dr to FDPase. Since then we have been following the diet balance suggested for tha form of FI (high carb, low fat & protien) with great success.

It was also advised to us that fructose is more tolerated (more like DFI) with this condition, however we have not been able to get Coley to incorporate it into his diet without terrible results until recently…almost 2 years after his restricted diet began!

Fats do seem to be a larger trigger for him these days but we are still trying to figure out if there is some ‘magic’ balance between fructose and fats for him, plus it does appear that ‘plant’ oils/fats have a much more devastating effect on him than animal fats do.

We have many questions stillin working through this strange and rare deficiency…I hope we can help eachother along the way!!!

KJ

Having trouble finding what is ok or what is not ok to eat. What about clear alcohols? At 60 I just found out I was FI thanks

I just found out I have fructose intolerance and am discouraged over so many things I can’t eat…like most fruit, etc.

My son, now 23, was diagnosed with HFI when he was 20. His symptoms began as an infant and he was hospitalized for a week at 12 months but was released without a diagnosis. Thankfully, we decided to remove all foods from his diet that made him ill and he did relatively well growing up. The most difficult part was convincing teachers, etc… that they were not to force him to eat things that he didn’t want. He was very happy to finally put a name to his disorder.

Hi, I’m looking to find more info on what I am permitted to eat. I’ve not been offically dx’d yet but they think it is fructose intolerance.

I have 2 son’s who are Fructose Intolerant. I am always looking for more food ideas and more information about the different intolerances. We are not sure which type they have at this time. One had a breath test and the other has not had any testing we just know from symptoms.

Nancy