Hypothroidism

Is there a natural way to control hypothroidism?

I was wondering the same thing. I recently was diagnosisted with hypothyroidism and I have been put on synthyroid. I don’t like the side effects. any suggestions?

Try Armour natural thyroid.

I would second that.

On 8/1/07, twinieten hypothyroidism-cpt4443@lists.careplace.com wrote:

I have been taking Levothyroxine for almost 5 months. I haven’t noticed any side effects, more importantly, I was told that there are no side effects. My doctor told me that because the levothyroxine is a replacement hormone, it cannot have any side effects, because it mimics and replaces what your body already produces.

Is he not telling me the full story?

If you’re feeling well, Vincent, then that’s good. The side effects from a T4 med are simply that hypo symptoms don’t go away or even get worse! T3 is the useable form, and people find that with a T4-only replacement, they still feel hypo. Their free T3 doesn’t get high enough, their bodies can’t convert enough to T3, and T4 builds up. They still feel sick. Adding a synthtic T3 can help, and is probably easier on the body than a synthetic T4 alone. The body wasn’t meant to convert all T4 to T3. Armour contains T4, T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin, which is what our own thryoids would produce if they could. It’s a job in itself to find a doctor who will prescribe the natural thryoid, though.

Thank you very much for that info. I did read that somewhere. I became hypothyroid from having Graves Disease. This all took place about 10 months ago. I started the Levothyroxine about 5 months ago. It took almost 4 months before I started to feel somewhat like myself.

So, when you say that the side effects are not in addition to, but are the hypo symptoms, then that makes a lot of sense. During those 4 months when I started the treatment, I started exercising regularly and eating properly and even getting to bed early enough to average 8 hours of sleep each night.

Then it was just one morning when I woke up almost 7 weeks ago, when I noticed the difference. I felt happy, alert, back to myself again. And it felt great; in fact, it was only about 3 days before that morning when I was becoming sorry I had ever had the radioactive iodine.

Point is, I was traveling the last 3 weeks. I was a little nervous about traveling, because I would not have all the standards I had just implemented in my life (and l concluded that it was the combination of the clean living and the levothyroxine that got me back to feeling good again). During the beginning of the trip, I was able to maintain some of my daily habits from home. Like getting to sleep early and making sure I ate breakfast and a minimal exercise routine. By the last week, I was way off. I wasn’t getting enough sleep, I was eating all kinds of sweets and I even had one night, just before I left to come home, of drinking. It was red wine and it tasted good. I don’t normally drink, but I was inspired by the occasion.

Then there was the call of reality and the flight home. I got on the plane and we got into the air, then the cabin went from a somewhat reasonably cool temperature to what felt like artic temperatures. I was really cold and actually it became unbearable for myself. I do not normally like the cold, but this was down right unpleasant. I wrapped myself several times in blankets and made do. It was a 9-hour flight. By the time I got off the flight and made it home. 20 hours had gone and I hadn’t had any food or decent sleep. That night in my Apt, I felt like I was just getting over the flu. All my joints hurt, my throat was sore from coughing on the plane and I just felt miserable.

It also occurred to me that I had not taken my pill in over 24 hours. In fact, by the time I did take my pill it was already 30 hours later. So that was a Friday and a Saturday. By Sunday I was feeling better and everything seemed fine. Monday morning when I got up, I had an anxiety attack. That is the best way to describe it. It is now four days later and I still feel uneasy. So, I am not sure if all of the elements I listed above contributed to not feeling good or if it was just missing the one dose of Levothyroxine.

I guess, at the end of the day. I thought because I was feeling great, I could go back to living my life like I had. But now I realize that I do have to be careful, but how careful do I have to be??

I’ve noticed that my symptoms have gotten worse. I seem to still be gaining weight and I am very emotional and feel like I am PMSing constantly. At time, my throat seems sore. Is that normal?

please help, I’m so tired of feeling like this.

No, USA, that’s not normal. What are you taking, and what are your numbers? Is your doctor looking at your TSH and proclaiming you normal, or are you being treated by symptoms? I know how you feel. I’m tired. And don’t misunderstand. I’m TIRED. And gaining weight like nobody’s business. My doctor has proclaimed me normal becuase of my TSH. I suspect I might be venturing off on my own soon.

I am taking 0.025 MG tabs. I don’t know what my TSH is? I am suppose to call next month to go down for an appt. to the VA in October. I feel so bad, because my mother in law is in town and I just want to take a nap every day and I don’t feel like doing anything. I am just so tired of all of this. I am going to ask the VA when I call, what my TSH is. All I know is that I have all the symptoms for hypothyroidism and they said it is extreme and it is barely working. so be praying. how much is 0.025 MG? I just found out and started taking medicine in June of 07.

It took me 5 months on the Levothyroxine to start feeling better, I had plenty of days in bed, I just couldn’t get up. It took me almost three weeks to stop feeling guilty for not being able to do anything, then I realized that it was OK to stay in bed if that’s what my body required. Take your time, lighten your schedule if you need to.  Once I was able to get up, I started to exercise a little at a time. Then I was introduced to yoga. With 2 months of yoga and eating right, riding my bicycle, I actually felt better than I had ever in my life. This Thyroid thing can make you feel crazy at times. But I am starting to recognize it when I feel depressed or anxious or even a little slow. Then I take a deep breath and try to relax. Get a book on the subject and try to make some sense out it for yourself. I read “Living well with Hypothyroidism”, 400 pages later I felt better about my situation and knew I wasn’t alone.

The problem is, doctors look at TSH and go by that. They don’t go by symptoms and it’s like pulling teeth to get them to look at the frees. Heaven forbid they treat the patient and not ink blots on paper. I don’t know what your dose is, really. I don’t know anything about the T4 meds. Maybe you’ve just been on it too long and it’s time for an increase.

Thank you so much. I am going to have to go to the library today and get that book or books. I have another question, I have noticed that my periods are regular but when I ovulate, I am in extreme pain, worse than my period and it actually brings tears, is that normal?

blessing : )

Wow, I have no suggestions for you there except to maybe have your sex hormones checked??

It sounds to me like you are are getting ovarian (folical) cysts.
They may be rupturing etc. I have had these myself and experienced
the pain you describe. They also can go along with thyroid problems
as I have found out the hard way.

I would definately discuss this with your obgyn. The only treatment
is birth control to prevent ovulation. This sounds bad particularly
if you do not want birth control but, you risk loosing an ovary
otherwise.

On 9/29/07, USAFveteran hypothyroidism-cpt4443@lists.careplace.com wrote:

thank you. I plan on talking to my dr. in the next week about it.

To: prtha_devi_dasi@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [hypothyroidism] hypothroidism
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 00:25:27 -0500

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 00:25:27 -0500

hi, im jennifer, 30 years old,a couple of weeks ago i went in to see my dr because i had a refill on my antidepressant medication and he took some bloodwork as well. The results came back and last week I found out I had hypothyroidism. My tsh was 52 so my dr started me on 75mcg of synthroid. I also just got an ultrasound and am awaiting the results of it. I think I may of been subclinical for years, but never diagnosed. I had my son 3 years ago and while i was pregnant i guess they tested me and didnt have it then according to them. My mom has hypo also but she’s never been that high and she only takes 25 mcg. I sure hope it kicks in soon because I’m tired of being like this and everyone saying that I’m a hypochondriac.
what was your begining tsh levels? what did you start out with for medication?I have to go back to the dr on 12/14 to get more bloodwork and probably get a higher dose ofsynthroid, he just wanted to start me off a little slow. generally is there a amt of medication you take based upon your tsh? it seems like its awfully high, over 10 times of what normal is.
ive been researching stuff online for the last week and it seems like people get better results when they have t3 and t4. If anyone has any insight about it, I’d love to hear it. How long will it take for my tsh to get to a normal range?

Hi,

Not sure I can help as I’m not big on the numbers part, ha, but have some other info that might be beneficial. Tho I do know in general, I felt much better when I added T3 to my T4.

Often undiagnosed hypothyroidism is misdiagnosed as depression. Some people, once they get the correct diagnosis, find they no longer need the antidepressants! Of course not everyone, but a lot. Because the diagnosis was wrong in the first place. So its not surprising your doc found you to be hypothyroid, and thank goodness you had a doc that considered to even look in that direction. You have no idea how many rather write a script for antidepressants and not think about it anymore.

Also, sometimes being pregnant can bring on hypothyroidism, only to have it go away over time. Tho during that time its helpful to take a lttle thyroid meds ‘if’ thats what your doc prescribed. I know a woman who had hypot after a pregnancy, then it just went away all by itself. However, I’d stick with the script cuz sometimes untreated hypothyroidism which makes one feel depressed could lead to, or contribute to, post partum. Not always, dont get nervous. :slight_smile: Just sometimes.

I have a hypothyroid egroup for (lacto) vegetarians. No one has to be a veggie to join, but must be respectful to the concept and to all members who are. We look more into alternative treatments (but include thyroid meds), herbs, Ayurvedic Medicine, oils, eliminating parasites & heavy metal toxins, exercise, raising chi/prana, Etc. We’re not for everyone of course, so read the front page and decide. (Hope its ok I put this link here, its not something I do very often.)
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/HypothyroidVegetarians/

By the way, you are “not” a hypochondriac! Hypot is a real disease! Oh, I have heard so many stories how even some doctors told women they were just lazy, etc., only to find out that even tho they were on meds, their dose was too low! Even that can zap ones energy. Well, dont get me going on we get treated like its all in our heads. ha Technically, its in our throats. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

~ Priitaa

Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:05:28 -0500