Melanoma Member Introductions

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community. Everyone here has something to share about Melanoma. For the discussion boards, we ask that you keep your full name and location private.

I am interested in this condition as my husband was diagnosed with Metastatic Melanoma in October of 2002. He was able to remain NED for 3 years and then it returned in October of 2005 in his left lung. He is currently doing well and in remission. He also has MS and we are thankful that it has not worsened through all the treatments of the cancer. I can certainly share information I have learned throughout this journey. I am also interested in new treatment modalities. I love meeting new people from all walks of life and offer encouragement when needed.

44 year old female diagnosed with stage 3/4 malignant melanoma on ear needs support and advise.

My name is Tabitha, and i have melanoma. Stage 3c. i want to know more ppl with the same disease as i,

Hello my name is Rick Stebbens if this place is about melanoma then I am interested because I have had it twice. My sister also has had melanoma. We are a FMMM family of melanoma. I want to help other deal with melanoma and I have been there. I also would like to help other not get melanoma buy education.

Thanks You for this site. Stay out of the sun and live even though some melanoma show up where the sun does not shine. Go get check go to the Doctor as needed. Stay health God Bless everyone here.
Rick Stebbens

Hi

I was diagnosed with terminal cancer (malignant melanoma in the liver, lungs and kidney) on December 19th 2003 and was advised that with my cancers, my prognosis was c6 months of which they said c 50% would be quality time. I was told that chemotherapy (Dacarbazine) was the best option and they said’ chemo will not increase your longevity’.

I continued to work until August 2004 when they said I could no longer take any more chemotherapy. At that stage I had two tumours left (out of 9) and then I went onto immunotherapy (low-dose IL2) which generally has a poorer response than chemotherapy. Usually, for my cancer, even with immunotherapy, the cancers come back quickly and life expectancy is again c 6 months.

By December 2004 the number of lesions was reduced to one and I was kept on immunotherapy until May 2005 – at which time, after a different scan, they decided the remaining lesions was ‘probably cystic’ and all treatment ceased.

The nature of cancer is that once there and systemic, one is totally reliant upon one’s immune system to hold it back.

I was given a choice – to return to work – or retire – which was a difficult choice as it meant my family would lose death-in-service benefit of thrice salary. But during chemotherapy I was traveling into London about 50% or normal working days – and towards the end of chemo, I stopped and the impact on my white cell readings was a dramatic improvement. So I retired - young.

In January 2006 a further lesion was spotted in my lung, and in May 2006 another in my liver making three lesions that they were monitoring. Amazingly my last scan in January 2007 showed both those new lesions gone leaving me with one.

I tried to gain part-time employment last Autumn, partly to allay the costs of three daughters at University and partly to be of use during my remaining years. My attempts were not very successful – none of the accountancy agencies (with whom I have been quite open) have found me any work either part-time or interim – I think I could take short-spells full time for a few weeks without impairing my chances of survival too much. I did get one job through a clerical agency – but it meant I had over two hours travel to Richmond (from Leatherhead, Surrey during the rush hour) and had to pay for my parking etc. What really irked was partly the poor pay but also there was little respect for my time. I do not think that moving from an FD role to effectively a invoice data-input clerk on Sage was too great a step down, it was the lack of regard for the useful filling of my time there.

Meanwhile, I have been investigating what my work in my battle against cancer – and since I have shared so much with so many in the form of a ‘missive’ of best practice – in response to suggestions, I have started to write a book called ‘Tipping the Balance – The Cancer Battle Manual’. As I feel that most of the information within it has been gained from fellow cancer patients (many of whom have not been so lucky as I), I do not feel able to take any personal gain from the book and 70% of any profits will go to three charities that have helped me with 5% each to 6 people (being each of my three daughters, a meditation leader who lives on a shoestring, an Australian mother who lost her child last year and an American mother who is battling also with melanoma).

I am rather unsure what to do next – obviously with a scan due in a few weeks, I am reluctant to put a lot of effort into trying to get another job right now. I have considered re-skilling to become a preparer of HIPS – but with such an uncertain future, I am hesitant about making either the financial or time commitment.

keep asking myself the question a doctor friend asked me now three years ago when my cancer returned seriously and my prognosis was three months of quality time. Why me and why now? In my case both melanoma recurrence and regression have been clearly associated with dietary changes: a diet diverging more widely from the Bristol Healthy eating diet some four/five months before recurrence with an increase in the consumption of cheese and a decrease in vegetables; and a diet very closely approaching the Bristol diet during treatment following medical guidance and attending a Penny Brohn course. The question I then asked myself is – am I just incredibly lucky? Having come from a scientific background I tend to believe in cause and effect – and so far, no one has found any other genetic or other reason why I responded (whilst unfortunately so many others do not).

Love and Healing

Ian

My name is Melanie. I was diagnosed with stage III melanoma of unknown primary in January 2006.

Hi I’m Carrie, thanks for the invite. I was diagnosed with Melanoma last March, everything is going fine for the most part now. Cant wait to get to know you all.

My father was diagnosed Dec06 with metastic melanoma stage IV.

Hi,

I am Robin, I am from St. Louis. Had surgery last year to remove melanoma and lost 2 lymph nodes in the process.
Seem to be doing well. I have a 5 year old boy named Chase, so I seem to be running a lot. I try to visit the chat group from time to time. It was wonderful when I was diagnosed and devasted and needed someone to talk to.

my name is christina,im 33 years old mother of 4, dx feb 28 07 stage 1 had WE on calf march 28 07 1 lymph node removed all negative no other treatment done,but very nervous for some reason maybe paranoid or lucky,just seems to soon to say all clear,im going to dematologists next week to get other moles checked,no insurance so i feel like im being pushed along and rushed into false hopes anybody out there feel like that or i think maybe im just a worry wart.iv read alot of great stories and alot of horror stories,but all has made me feel more informed about this disease and to me its unpredictable,i hope for the best expect the worse kindof girl,and to be able to share our stories with other people is a blessing ,thankyou

I was diagnosed with melanoma (unknown primary) in October 2004. Since then I have undergone 3 surgeries, two rounds of radiation, one month of interferon, and over two years of GM-CSF treatment. I have been NED for melanoma since September 2005.

Melanoma - A Careplace member who I know is battling this disease.

I just had surgery on my foot and ankle for
Melanoma cancer

My husband is in his 2nd go round with melanoma, this time very bad. I am looking for answers, information and support

Iam a level 4 sub/malig/mel survivor,head,neck,M.D.Anderson.I’ve lost my family,health,confidence-homeless. Watchfull waiting,waiting for what? The next shoe to drop?Now i’m type2,depressed,cronic pain, hypertensive…you name it.Why am i still here?

I would like to connect with loved ones of multiple myeloma patients

Hi,
I am a 40 years old male. I grew up in Israel but currently live in Canada.
I had many sun burns when growing up, and now I have too many moles. My dermatologist removed some of them.

Hi Everyone, Just found this website. I had a very small melanoma removed 12 years ago this July. I have now developed patchy, diffuse vitiligo and ruled out all the usual causes (anemia, arthritis, lupus, adrenal insufficiency, diabetes, thyroid problems). I have a high contrast CT scheduled for next week. Has anyone else developed this as part of metastatic disease?

I had melanoma 18 years ago during my pregnancy. I wrote two books on melanoma and have been providing support to melanoma patients and families since. I am always looking to find out more about what patients need and help more…