Post-Polio Syndrome Member Introductions

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community. Everyone here has something to share about Post-Polio Syndrome. For the discussion boards, we ask that you keep your full name and location private.

Founder of the TransGlobal Health Community Center at http://transglobalhealth.com

hi there, i work with the careplace team. i think careplace is awesome. i hope it will really help people to share, support eachother and learn. we can all use support and understanding and it is so important for all of us who have experienced difficulties to have a safe and informative forum in which to do so. thanks for visiting - it is really rewarding for all of us to see people reaching out to eachother - it is what careplace is all about.

I have Polio Sym and want to hear from others and hear there views.

Had polio at the age of 7, never really recovered. I now using crutches and brace.

hello my name iaa mary i had polio in 1952at 5 mo old. i live in in.

I’d like to meet people who are living with PPS and are becoming progressively weaker. How do they deal with this?

My name is Sarah. I live in southern California and I am dealing with Post Polio. I am interested in keeping up with what everyone is doing or finding to ease our discomforts.
I am in the process of bringing a 16 year old girl from Pakistan to the US for care. She had Polio at the age of 2. I hope to have her here by August.

50 something year old female with PPs and still in braces.

Hi just call me Mar, I am a Polio Survivor now living with Post Polio Syndrome. I am interested in meeting, sharing and learning from other Survivors.

Hi to all of you,

I am a new member who is hoping to share information with all of you. I had consultation with a spinal surgeon who made the fusion surgery seem very difficult. It seems like it would be the only way for me to deal with a scioliosis and spinal stenosis. I am still working but I don’t know for how long. I am having problems with the hands due to the nerve damage from the polio.

Bev

Hi this is Rick and I am interested in PPS as I am experiencing it right now. Would like to see if any body else is having the same problems that I am experiencing. Very weak back muscles making it impossible to stand up straight without having support. Very sore and stiff back.

Hi everyone
I am trying to find my way around this site ,I am a little messed up on where to read post and more .I sure I will get it in time. I to have polio and am interested in chatting with you all. Soon as I get sortted out on this site. … lol .funny how a new site can throw one off…lol

i got polio since i was i year old in 1953. i heard that people with polio in one leg, when they grow up thier other leg is affected. i do have pain in my other leg. I’m interested to find out if this is true

Hello everyone,

My name is Len. I had polio when I was 2 years old in 1952. Paralized my right foot and right calf muscle. I am no longer working because with the Post-Polio Syndrome I can not walk far and do not have much endurance.

I spend these days doing some volunteer work and I spend a lot of my time on the computer. I have joined a number of other communities. I find it fascinating that we can connect with so many people all over the world.

In this community I hope to friends with many of you. I think it is especially important to have friends who know what your going through, most of my friends and aquitances don’t have a clue which can be very frustrating. as I’m sure you can relate.

Kind Regards,
Len B.

I was shocked to learn I have PPS…told I was cured in jr. high-1963.I’m having a hard time coming to accept it.Does it get worse at such a fast rate for every one or is it just me?I was diagnosed 8-05.Once I started getting my Soc. Sec. Dis. I became ineligible for Medicaid, and I don’t become eligible for Medicare til 5-08.I can’t afford to go to the polio dr. for treatment or help. I am declining rapidly.Anyone else in my situation?What do you do?Comments or advice-e-mail:Kori G at johnandkorig@yahoo.com. Thanks.

i have post polio syndrome. I am 65 years old. I would like to connect with some people who have post polio and see what has been offered to them for help with walking, wheelchairs, medications, etc. I am basically affected in my legs.

I have had Post PolioSyndrome for the past 30 years and I am still striving to fine a doctor who knows enough about it to be able to treat me effecively. When I have one of my attacks it can last as long as a month . I have pain on my whole right side and it feels like an elephant sitting on my chest. I am tired of doctors who as if i am depressed or try to pin my pain on something else. For a long time I didn’t even bother trying to go to a doctor because they think that I was crazy. Can anyone help me out please?

Hi,
I’m sisterp and I had polio when I was in 2nd grade, about 7 or 8 years old. I was out of school almost the whole school year and did school work at home. My parents are deceased now so don’t have anyone to refer back to. My rememberance is I just could not walk, had to crawl around.

Now I’m 51 years old, worked all my life doing production work then was rear ended by another car in 2004. Started going down hill from there. Have had rotator cuff surgery on left side, now the right side if acting up. Have chronic low back pain that Doctors says is spondylosis and degenerative disc disease. Have constant pain and swelling in my right ankle. My neurosurgeon says I need a spinal fusion but does not believe it has anything to do with having polio as a child. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else?
Thanks,
sisterp

Hi my name is Steve , I had polio in 1949 when I was 6 months old, I spent 1 year in the Shriners Hospital in Minneapolis when I was the age of 1 to 2 years old. I still work full time as a Master bench Jeweler and have lots of pain in my back at times but have been able to work through it so far.