Post-Polio Syndrome Member Introductions

I am retired, a few years earlier than I had planned thanks to pps. Got polio in 1953 and was down and out for a year. After intensive pt I regained strength and passed as ab for many years.I always had exciting jobs, busdriver, fire fighter, test driver, drove salt trucks in the winter and operated front end loaders, forklifts and even got to test a underwater amphibian. I am an artist and my hobbies are gardening, cooking, reading mysteries and saving animals…dogs and cats. I am a happy gal

I’m a polio survivor and am trying to figure out wether I have PPS or not. With a multitude of symptoms and a whole lot of “we don’t know” from my many physicians. I need guidance for a diagnosis.

I am looking t, o connect with those in my circumstances. Post polio, early 60s, and medical and concentration problems.

I AM POST POLIO. I WANT TO HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS CONDITION IN ANY WAY THAT I CAN. ANYONE WITH CONTACTS TO THE MEDIA, TO THE MEDICAL PROFESSION, TO THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMMUNITY…AND THE LIST GOES ON…WELL…IF YOU DO…LETS JOIN TOGETHER AND DO SOMETHING.

I ALSO WANT TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY SUFFERED THE AFFECTS OF PPS. TELL US WHAT TO LOOK FOR…HOW DID THINGS HAPPEN…HOW DID THEY PROGRESS…WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CLUE THAT SOMETHING WAS WRONG. MAYBE YOU CAN HELP SOME OF US BEFORE WE LOSE A MAJOR MUSCLE BY KNOWING THE WARNING SIGNS. HELL, ITS UP TO US TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE, SADLY, OUR DOCTORS HAVE NO CLUE.

AND I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO SHARE WITH MY FELLOW PPS PEOPLE THE LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING THAT COMES WITH ANY PERSON AFFLICTED WITH A TOUGH ILLNESS.

AFTER ALL THAT…I JUST WANNA HAVE FUN…LOL

IN SHORT…THAT’S ME

I have PPS, I had polio at age 2 and have had 7 surgeries to correct polio and 1 to help with the PPS. I don’t know any fellow PPS’ers except for in support groups.

I am a psychologist with a specialty in the area of physical disabilities, and Polio has always been a pet interest, having grown up during the epidemic.

I am interested in meeting single, ambulatory men in the 50-60 year old age group, in the Los Angeles area, if there are eligible men on this site.

I would like to know what things it effects later in life. my mother was pregnant with me when she and my 2 older brothers had it i am 52 now and having sight, weakness of hands, arms, legs, feet etc. is this part of it? please help. i am from kansas and my mom was in the news at that time.

I need some inoformation for polio

My husband contacted polio when he was nine yrs old. He is no 64 and in a wheelchair. We need help modifying the entrance to the house so my sons do not have to be here everytime he needs to get in or out of the house. Don’t know hwat to do.

Mary Jane

my name is carol and im 54 years old, i contacted polio at approximately 10 months of age. i am married with 4 children. now its about whats going on with me and how it affects my life.

Hi
Had polio ,since 1944 and now 74 and still cannot find anyone my age or anyone in indiana, for support. All the people are woman and they seem to be in charge and I cannot talk to a woman , and some never had polio and the doctors in my area have no idea about the pain we suffer with…

I am daniela e. songlinco, 64 years old, female, single from the philippines.I was a polio victim at age 6 mos and presently diagnosed with PPS.I have atrophy and shortening of my right leg, Had undergone series of surgery since age 15. I move around with asssistive devices like cane and wheelchair.Secondary to my PPS i’m also suffering from neuropathic pains in my lower extremities.These pains plus the feeling of severe fatigue upon exhaustion are sometimes unbearable despite medications and they often affect my activities of daily living.By the way, I broke my left elbow due to a bad fall in 1989 brought about by my weakening leg.I go for physical therapy on an irregular schedule though. What I have been doing for years now is an hour of paced swimming 3x/wk.Somehow it helps strenghten my muscles.Do other PPS patients experience this and what do they do to find relief? Thank you for whatever anybody can share with me. Hope that others learn something from my condition.

I had polio in 1954 at age 4 and I now experience significant post-polio syndrome.

My mother contracted polio at the age of 3 back in 1940. She initially used braces, later progressed to crutches and eventually was forced into a wheelchair as a result of her polio. She is now 67 years old and is starting to show additional signs of the disease. Although I understand that it is degenerative, it seems that is is progressing at an unusually high speed. I would like to hear from others whose family members (or themselves) are suffering from the effects of polio.

I had polio as a child. I am now haveing new problems. I read up on postpolio syndrome and I found things that sound like the the things I am am going thru. I am not sure who to go to or what to do. Most Drs. I have talked to don’t seem to know as much as I do about it. I would like to talk to others in the San Antonio area to see if they may have some recomendatins or insite on this matterI really feel alone and lost about all this. If anyone knows of a good Dr. please let me know.

thank you ,

Pamela

I would like information on how to help some with post-polio syndrome

My father in law suffers from post-polio. He doesn’t talk about it much, but I would like to know what I can do to help.

Does anyone know if anasthesia is bad for post polio patients?

New Member -
Hi, my name is deborahajmiller. I had polio at 4 months old & now suffer from post polio syndrome.

I had polio in 1952 I am 57 now

I haven’t had polio but i had congenital clubfoot bilateral