Trimethylaminuria Member Introductions

just curious and looking for more information as i have a strong suspision that my daughter is suffering from this condition althought it has yet to be confirmed

i stink and want it fixed

I have tested negative for YMAU but intend to be retested very soon. I am an odour sufferer and have been for many years. I am also a member of another global listserv for people with TMAU and have found it knowledgeable and informative.

i have had Trimethylaminuria for most of my life
and would like advice on Trimethylaminuria and talk to
other people with the same condition

Hello, Iā€™m interested in finding what has worked for others in regards to TMAU and other metabolic-conditions.

Hi, just would like to get more info on TMA

38 YO male. May have this condition. Seems to be more severe in the last year.

I think I am trimethylaminuric

I am a 52 year old male and have suffered with a problem for over 12 years that most people want to ignore, I have been sent to a shrink, I have been told it is all in my head but by searching the internet I have found that there must be hundreds of us. We need to stand togethe and tell the world that we are no unclean we just have a medical problem!

I am in my later years of life,and I suspect this may have been my lifelong problem. Would be keen to pass this info on to my family so that if it occurs in any of them, than they would understand.

Hi,
Am interested in finding more information bout BO. Just came across this page by mistake.

Thanks.

I am interested in this condition because i think i suffer from it and wants to learn as much as i can.

After spending a lifeā€™s fortune investigating what is wrong, I think this is it. I have a terrible anxiety disorder, depression, and obssesiveness about cleanliness and perfection because of the problem. My worst anxiety is about work. This is my first time joinging a ā€œcommunityā€.

HI I RECENTLY SAW THE CONDITION FEATURED ON INSIDE EDITION. ALTHOUGH I HAVE YET TO BE FORMALLY DIAGNOSED I BELIEVE I SUFFER FROM THE SAME CONDITION. I WOULD LIKE TO CONNECT WITH OTHER PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM THIS DISEASE AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THEY COPE. IM HAVING A HARD TIME MAINTAINING EMPLOYMENT AND HAVE BECOME ALMOST A COMPLETE HERMIT BECAUSE OF THE DISEASE.

Hello. My name is Ben and I have had some strange condition as long as I can remember. I donā€™t know for certain if it is TMAU, but a prominent symptom is body odor. I am grateful to have graduated from college recently, something I have always wanted to do. Only by contolling my body odors was I able to even think about sitting in a packed classroom 4-5 days a week.

Believe it or not, but simply avoiding fragrances has reduced my odors almost completely, if not completely. I only seem to have odors when I am around fragrances for too long.

I have been investigating the cause of my problem throughout the last decade. Having majored in Biology and minored in Chemistry, I have aquired a much better understanding of the human body, yet gained little progress (likely because college was very demanding and afforded me little spare time). Soon I will begin my Masters program in Biochemistry. I hope to find the root cause of my problem and a permenant solution (it is difficult to avoid fragrances in todays world). Iā€™m obsessed with this problem, and luckily, Iā€™m also obsessed with biology and chemistry. I would like to find a solution soon, because I would love to be a science professor, but donā€™t know if I can tolerate the studentā€™s fragrances. I can only hope for the best.

i just found this sight and I can't even tell you how often I have cried and screamed just trying to understand this. A doctor mentioned it to me about a year ago but I didn't look into it because the article described the symptoms of TMAU as fishy odor and although sometimes it is fishy, sometimes it is just dirty sex-smell --or at least that is what others have said. I am 33 and this started around age 14. I have an okay life considering how horrible I smell (plus constant bad breath). People hold their noses when I talk to them. And I have come to HATE doctors for making me think nothing was wrong with me and that it was all in my head.

I need a clear diet to follow. I have tried so many creams and spent so much money in drugstores on stupid products that don't do what they claim to do. I don't know if I care to go to another doctor to get tested. I think my name should have been Hope because I have so much hope that every new gimick will cure me. I have tried everything under the sun and yet I still have hope. I am glad I am not alone but I would never wish this on my worst enemy. And now I could possibly pass it on to my children. Why can't we just be normal or have something else-anything else would be better.

Hello. Iā€™m a mom whoā€™s interested in learning more about trimethylaminuria. I think I may have a 5 year old child who has this condition. I would like to hear from other parents with children who have this condition and learn from their experiences regarding their diet and any other helpful information.
Thank You.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what foods are low in choline. I don't know what exactly to stay away from. I am probably depriving myself of foods that are healthy. I have tried everything. I go to the dentist every 3 months for cleanings but I still have an odor. my dentist says it isn't coming from my mouth. I don't know where to turn. I would love to communicate with others who are going through the same thing. it is lonely and depressing dealing with this. stella

Hi Iā€™m Sherlyn, for as long as I can remember I have been an outcast at school, family functions, social activities and work. Finally into my 30ā€™s I realized (after being in the working world for a few years) by the reactions and comments of others that I had an odor problem.

Sometimes I could get a faint wiff of the odorā€¦mostly I just knew because my breath was so bad all the timeā€¦and I usually smelled like what ever it was that I had been eating. Or a garbage or soury cheese smellā€¦it is humiliating.

I have yet to be tested. But that is my goal. And to make some friendsā€¦

Iā€™m a 29 year old Science Teacher living in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Iā€™ve been living with TMAU since I was in sixth grade. I have had some success with the diet, but must keep it very restricted. Iā€™ve tested positive with an enzyme function of only 11%. I was tested by Dr. George Preti last summer in Philly. I love what I do for work, I love my wife and two dogs, and I refuse to let this condition change that. Only when one lives outside his/her comfort zone is it possible to truly live.

1 Like