Victim Mentality

http://polynate.net/books/freedom/victim.html

Path to freedom: Overcoming the victim mentality

The victim mentality:
It wasn’t my fault!

Confronting the victim mentality

A victim mentality is one where it is always someone else’s fault for bad things happening to you. Further than this, it can be an expectation that things will go wrong, because `bad things always happen to me’. A victim blames others for their circumstances - when something happens, they don’t take responsibility for their actions.

The most effective way to overcome the victim mentality is to start taking responsibility for every action and circumstance in your life - as you seek in every possible way to take responsibility for your life, you will begin to see that: Although I cannot control my circumstances, I can always control my response!

When we embrace this attitude, life’s circumstances will no longer control us, because we have been freed to choose how to respond!
Dealing with the victim mindset

Victims tend to see the control and responsibility for their situations as belonging to others, i.e. the bad things that happen to them are always someone else’s fault. This is a destructive mindset, as not only does the victim feel negatively about their current situation, but they also feel powerless to change it.

Victor Frankl survived the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz by discovering the ultimate freedom “to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to chose one’s own way.”

Frankl said “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” Covey, in his book, “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”, describes this ability to choose our response as his first habit, “Be Proactive”.

Covey describes two concentric circles, the inner for influence and the outer for concern. Proactive people focus on the things they can control (the circle of influence) and their influencce grows. Victims focus on what they cannot control (things outside the circle of influence but in the circle of concern) and their circle of influence shrinks.
Transition to healthier thinking

The victim surrenders power over their life to others – their life is driven by their environment. Proactive people’s lives are driven by the values they employ in how they choose to respond. Victims can often be bound by unforgiveness; as Corrie Ten Boom said, “Forgiveness is setting the prisoner free, only to find out that the prisoner was me.” Releasing others for their failings and accepting responsibility for our own futures is often the required path forward from a victim mentality.

Victims can feel they have certain rights that the world owes them, and are disappointed or angry when the world doesn’t deliver. They tend to feel very strongly about “their rights” and they way things should be done for them. Contrast this “in-bound” worldview with Peter Drucker, who discusses his life/work approach in “The Effective Executive.” His focus is not “what can I get?”, or even “what can I achieve?” but rather "what can I contribute?"
© Copyright 1997-2006, Nathan Bailey, All Rights Reserved. Permission is granted to print these articles for personal use, in whole or in part, provided the extract references the original URL, http://polynate.net/books/freedom/, so that people can find the latest version.

LOL Blitxen, you are one heck of a lady. Makes me proud to be female.

Ditto Susiejo!

:o)

GD

Its amazing how you still want to stick to trhe same old song that we dont want you discussing NPD for people who are actually diagnosed with it.

How many more verses and choruses are there to that tune?

Then maybe you’ll start hearing the song everyone else has been singing which is "talk about NPD all you want, just dont discount, devalue and dehumanize all the survivors here of abusive relationships with N’s, because

(ahem)

THATS BULLYING."

know why? cuz its mean - yep - I said it - yer mean…yer very very mean - yer a mean girl even if you do pole dance.

And people who are still in pain and still recovering their lives from N hell, guess what? they get to point out when someone is being mean to them, and they have been…but it isnt changing anything,

yer still mean…yer a very mean girl.

and I know
that you know
you are.

You just want to convince yourself that I’m mean too. I’m something alright, but mean isnt it :slight_smile:

what are you thankful for today Gaye?
I imagine its that you get a lot of attention here. I’m glad I got hugs today, and carrot sticks to share with my kids, and did some creative work, and have inspired an otherwise apathetic group to go hog wild with their cameras and self portraits, that I have a special friend who thinks I’m swell, and a son who is incredibly unselfconscious and has SuperHeroHumour :smiley:
and that today is a good hair day, and for the blizzard swirling outside my backdoor, and that I’m healthy and have peeople who love me and who like me loving them back, and that my mom’s still alive and came over last night for 3 hours of Scrabble (God bless her!) and that I made a new friend here, a real one, not a sock puppet LOL, and for my sportscar and clear skin and enough money to pay the bills and that my exN didnt cause my death, that Meritage is heavenly, that chicken is cheap, and its oyster season and I have a beautiful boy teaching me all about the finer things about oysters and that Life is beautiful, and so are the impressions I have of the survivors who have been messaging me privately and publicly about their tearful tribulations and tearful pleasures and joys in their lives.

I dont tolerate bullies, but they dont ruin anything good for me either.

I invite you to use your energy for good, not evil. Hug someone. Give someone a compliment. Make real contact with someone who looks like they might be having a hard day. Put a smile on someone’s face. Be a patient and sensitive listener. Call up a friend you havent spoken to in awhile. Buy yourself some flowers, or some really expensive cheese. Dance alone in your livingroom. Tap into whats rich and beautiful and lovely about your life and your presence here and your impact on the people around you.

Its so much more valuable than all the energy you’re dumping here.

Do someone a good turn. It just might feel really incredibly delicious compared to what you have been doing.

Thats my invitation Gaye. Its a good one. Take it.

C’mon Gaye,

I’m pullin for ya!!!

reach deep down and find some care and consideraton for others
let your warm self have some oxygen and sunlight
let her out to play

c’mon

you can do it!

But surely you are the first person to know when you cannot accept how somebody behaves?

At the end of the day isn’t that all any of us know about anybody else for sure?

GD

Phoenix,

You have just accused me of:

discoiunt, devalue and dehumanize all the survivors here of abusive relationships with N’s

Now I think you should be prepared to quote specific examples of this with links to the threads, OR withdraw the accusation please.

Thank You

GD

A lot of people would say that this is a summary of the way that healthy relationships work:

“if you do not abide by the terms of the contract, the agreement is null and void and the part of the first part will be free to leave the party of the second part…blah blah blah”

I think that claiming to be at the mercy of our own emotions is just another way to avoid taking adult responsibility for our lives.

We cannot control what we feel, not really, but we CAN control what we do about it, and the choices we make around our emotions.
GD

love can be a very messy affair

I’ll support you any way I can Gaye. Dig deep baby. You can do it.

“and for a moment
the day was filled with angels…”

beautiful, isnt it?

its like I tell kids who do grafitti

“Beauty before pride”

love can be a very messy affair

I am rather afraid that is the only deal on the table for anyone.
GD

http://nodigio3.blogspot.com/2004/08/victim-mentality.html

Numenous Thoughts

Random Rants, Mostly Religious.
Friday, August 27, 2004
Victim Mentality

“Before you smack me for being of the Wica, or for having structure, or being initiated, or any of that” - is a common opening lately of many BTWs on assorted emailing lists. They use this opening even if no one has said anything about traditions, structure, clergy, or initiations.

Victim mentality. Again. It’s as if those who choose to adhere to a specific religion (usually initiatory ones) are so insecure in their beliefs they automatically feel threatened when anyone expresses a different point of view. Sometimes, the non-initiatory Pagans don’t even have to express a different point of view at all, all they have to do to say, “I’m not Wiccan” for the BTW to immediately assume victim stance, and whine about how persecuted they are because they’re initiated. No one said a thing about initiatory traditions or practices, but the BTW has to immediately mention how people always bash them because they are elitist.

No, Dear, we bash you because you’re socially inept, and you scrawl VICTIM acros your forehead, shave VICTIM into the back of your hair, hang a sign around your neck marked VICTIM, and have a sign tacked to your back that says, “Kick me, I’m a VICTIM!” on it, and you wear “What Would Victims Do” jewelry, a T-shirt that says, “I’m a VICTIM, pick on ME!”, and shoes with VICTIM carved into the tread.

We so get it that you want to feel persecuted so badly that you have to force people to notice who and what you are. You start conversations by saying “It’s not fair that we get bashed because we have structure.”

Excuse me, but what makes you think you have a stranglehold on structure? On tradition? On Mystery? You aren’t the only ones who have tradition, structure, iniations, Mysteries - and we bash you not because you have those things but because you are rude, and pushy, and hide behind “it’s a Se-e-e-cret!”. And if you (all the Gods forbid) say something intelligent, you come back and post to the list about how badly you’ve been smacked for “revealing secrets” by someone in your upline.

If we won’t let you play victim, you have to seek someone elsewhere to “smack” you (even if you have to make up a fictitious person) just so you can proudly report back to us how bad you were, and how close you came to revealing a “secret”. Oh, Puh-leeze! That is so third grade.

It’s as if these victim-wannabes can’t get enough of the damage they seek in non-Pagan venues that they’ve invaded the Pagan ones to generate the vilification they seem to thrive upon. They become defensive at the least little hint that someone might be talking about something other than Wicca or Witchcraft or being “of the Wica”. They immediately assume that if the conversation strays into “forbidden territory”, someone is trying to bait them into revealing secrets.

No, Dear, we do that because in our religions, it’s not a secret. Neither you nor your upline owns the Mysteries, and your Secrets are Secret only because you declare them so. They are clearly visible to those of us who have spent a great deal of time studying and interacting with our Divinity. If we choose to speak of our Mysteries and how we experienced them (because, in our religion, remember, it’s not secret), then, to keep your Oaths of Secrecy, you shouldn’t say anything at all, not even you sly little hints about how you know something we don’t.

But you do. And you whine about how mean we are for making you “spill the beans”.

In many ways, I see this seeking among Pagans for persecution as a positive thing - the general public no longer “smacks” people for being Pagan, or Witch. They often shrug it off. Paganism and Witchcraft have integrated so well into mainstream society, only in isolated areas is it a problem anymore[1].

So, in order for these angsty kindergoth BTWs to get their rocks off about being persecuted and oppressed, they have to go on the offensive; strike and make themselves a target for victimization. They are clearly and loudly proclaiming: “You are ignoring my big bad Witchy Self, please, please please beat me, kick me, show me I exist in your world by inflicting pain on me. If you do, you’re a big meanie poo poo head, and I can cry PERSECUTION happily, and tell me friends just how delightfully wronged I’ve been. If you don’t, well, I’ll reveal my secrets to you so my own people will trounce me for it, and I’ll get my persecution that way. Either way, I WILL be persecuted, if I have to force you to do it.”

You know, I have stopped responding individually to people who come onto emailing lists and pull this childish little stunt. It’s not worth my effort to convince you I am no threat to you because I’ve been there, done that and moved on. Being Numenist doesn’t mean I hate BTWs - and that’s exactly what all this posturing and whining says. You think I - and those like me who are also not BTW - hate you because you are BTW.

We don’t.

We are disgusted by your whining. We are disgusted by your false claims of persecution. We are disgusted by your endless efforts to attract our attention to force your point of view on us as the only real one. We are disgusted by your presumption that our religions can’t possibly un-der-sta-a-a-a-nd what real Mysteries are, and you won’t tell us, so there! We are disgusted by your blatant tricks to try to force us to make you a victim.

I’m not playing that game with you. You’ll have to find some other meanie poo poo head to call you names. I pity you. I pity your religious immaturity, and that’s as far as I’ll go.

If you want to cry and whine and moan about how “persecuted” you are, visit any Third World Country - Africa is a good one, and watch them stone women for being called a witch. That’s persecution. If you aren’t willing to see that persecution, how about spending a day among the homeless, here? Those people are persecuted - they have no homes, and because of that, they are imprisoned for vagrancy. They have no place to clean up, and because of that, people turn away from them, won’t look at them, won’t talk to them. They are hungry, and people throw away their food rather than offer it to them. That’s persecution. Or pick any Indian reservation, see how Black and White Americans force the Red Americans to live in squalor, and take away their land for pennies an acre - just because they are Red. That’s persecution.

You are spoiled. You are a pretender. Find out what real persecution is, and you’ll stop your petty whining quick enough.

[1] And I sincerely feel for them; like Dana, whose cat and parrot were brutally murdered by “loving” Christians. If you haven’t personally experienced that, then you aren’t persecuted. If it happened to a friend of a friend, you aren’t persecuted. Don’t steal their misery and try to parade it around as your own. You look stupid when you do that.

comments posted by Noddy @ 10:21 AM

Just fresh from a real life situation where a young woman is just waking up to the fact that her family are horribly emotionally and psychologically abusive…the big “tell” in her behavior is constantly saying “I’m sorry”.

“I’m sorry, the train is late”

“I’m sorry, they gave me fries instead of rice”

Ostensibly taking responsibility for EVERYTHING whether it is under her control or not.

I can relate, because I was raised that way too and developed the same habit…along with a mindset that said; if a problem had to be solved I’d better solve it…and “impossible” was just another problem I had better solve.

I was also conditioned to see any abusive relationship as “my fault”…not for being the abuser, but for being the fool who chose him. Which is a bit out of whack in my case, because I never initiated a relationship in my life. I can’t, because of having AS I can’t read the other person’s responses and having no social confidence whatsoever, would always err on the side of assuming I was being rejected. Even the stress of trying to develop a relationship on equal, mutual terms is, in real terms, too overwhelming to deal with, and I wouldn’t just have to deal with it, I would have to develop a relationship THROUGH dealing with it…I don’t THINK so…so, anyway, the only “choice” I ever got in terms of relationships was the right to reject…

The upside of the above was that it never took me more than a week or two to get over an abusive partner once they had gone and left me in peace, because I was conditioned to see whatever I felt as foolish and all my own fault.

ANYWAY…being conditioned to to blame yourself, and take responsibility for everything, including your own feelings is just another kind of screwed up victim mentality…

Instead of “I am not responsible, it is all someone else’s fault and BEYOND MY CONTROL”

You get “I am responsible, it is all my fault and I must find a way to fix it”.

Of course, the healthy stuff is probably somewhere in between the two?

GD

of course

and because it is, it would be absolutely lovely to have absolutes to apply to every relationship, including loving ones, but realistically thats not the case.

It wasnt in the case of my exNPD/ASPD, it wasnt even in the case of my normal marriage before that, and I highly doubt I can apply any absolutes to the pseudo-relationship I have now, or might have in the future.

I wouldn’t agree. I think we only “forgive” as long as we can still accept what is happening…for whatever reason…

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying we would accept what is happening generically, from ANYBODY (nor that there are always great alternatives available, there aren’t)…of course not…but I think that we stay because we are still deriving enough from that particular person, in that particular situation to accept it…

…and all of the above is a very individual thing, not only to us, but to the other person in the relationship and that we have as much responsibility for that choice as they do.

GD

Phoenix,

I take it then, that you cannot substantiate the allegations you have made against me?

GD

I am not on this site anymore, but I have to respond to this. I said
I am sorry ALL THE TIME. And now I
know why. I was programmed to be the scapegoat. NO MORE!! And it
FEELS GREAT!!!

On Nov 19, 2007, at 8:28 AM, blitzen wrote:

Of course BUP…

That is pretty much the same thing…

I always remember a very abusive woman I had the misfortune to know, relatively recently, who had quite a habit of accusing me of “never apologising”, and, maybe you can relate to this, but my reflex reaction was ALWAYS:

“WHY should I apologise? I don’t FEEL sorry - s*d you!”

I guess that was a sign of great healing?

GD

I do that all the time. “I’m sorry.” I apolgize because it rains and somebodies hair gets wet, or because the power goes out. I didn’t even know I did it until I was talking to this one girl (who tends to be quite blunt) and she literally yelled at me for it. “Stop saying you’re sorry! Its annoying!”

In a way when I say I’m sorry, it probably translates to “I’m sorry I’m helpless to do anything about the situation.” It certainly isn’t healthy the way I do it. I probably have been in the habit of thinking everything is my fault too. You have a headache? I’m sorry. It probably has something to do with me.

I had the victim mentally bad in the past, so bad… but I’ve gotten much better. My exes behavior was always quite hurtful, but I never took responsibility for removing myself from the situation. There was nothing my ex could do about her behavior, but I was fully capable of not accepting it in my life if it wasn’t what I wanted. There was a point where I knew I was in an abusive situation and things weren’t going to get better, and I chose to stay. Sure my exes behavior was hurtful… but by staying at that point it was my fault. Not accepting her for who she was and accepting she was different was my fault. Wanting her be like I wanted and act they way I wanted her to act was a mistake on my part. Continuing to let it happen was my fault too… I was much better off when I stopped being that way.