What is the best medicine for migranes?

hi i am just wondering wat is the best meds for migranes i take different things and it seems like nothing works.

Hello,

So far Zomig has worked the very best for me. Within 20 to 30 minutes it completely arrests the migraine and I can continue whatever I was doing pretty much pain free.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

I seem to be having less migraines while on Lyrica…not that it is for
that it just seems to be an added benefit. When I do have one the drug
I turn to when I need to turn to a drug is Maxalt which usually works.
I also use a spray herbal treatment with feverfew and some other things
in it. Feverfew has really been helpful too although isn’t enough for
some of the bad ones.

Faith, Hope, and Love,
Katrina

-----Original Message-----
From: holygirl [mailto:migraines-cpt8696@lists.careplace.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:16 AM
To: carmelann@charter.net
Subject: [migraines] what is the best medicine for migranes?

I use Maxalt as well and it seems to clear up my cluster headaches in about 20 mins .
God Bless You !

I take Zomig also and it does very well. Still there are days when all I do is sleep. One problem with the Zomig for me is I am only allowed 12 pills a month and that sometimes isn’t enough.

Also, I have been treated with numerous other drugs in the past 15 years. The best one was 2500 mg of ibuprofen to stop a bad migraine. Unfortunately that causes stomach ulcers and in my case caused really bad reflux.

Migraine treatment seems to be very similar to wine tasting parties. You keep trying things until you find something you like or run out of things to try.

Shalom,
Chuck

I’ve had migraines since I was a child. They called them sick headaches at that time and there was no meds. We are lucky now.
I have been taking
IMITRIX 100 mg. when needed

I use an injection of IMITRIX for immediate relief. They are self injectable pens one dose each. You feel like you never had a migraine, except for a slight tightening in the lower neck for a brief time.

BUT: for me it’s about COCKTAILS not individual pills.

I take ZONISAMIDE 100 mg every evening as a preventative

When I get a headache
1 100 mg Imitrix
1 Aleve (anti-inflamatory over the counter)
1/2 of a .5 mg xanax
ginger for nausea ( the dried sugared kind)

I am very interested in the Cluster med thing. Those headaches are death knolls I tell ya. Prednisone when I get them and the Imitrix Shots with steam showers get sinuses clear of any smoke or smells, and absolutely NO SMOKE any where around me. They show up seasonally for me it seems. But when they start… yikes!
ALL MIGRAINES:
always darkness, no noise, Cool air, warm blanket, heating pad on feet pulls some of the rushing blood from your head.
A chillo-pillow from Linen n Things

I take Zomeg, however, because I have been taking it for a long time now, it doesn’t take affect until around an hour into it. Sometimes, after a few hours from taking Zomeg, I combat the headache with two extra strength Excedrine as well. However, I always double check with my pharmacist to see what I can mix with my medication. So far, Zomeg/Immitrex is the best. I just don’t know if the shot is better than the pill. I don’t want to extend the dosage of my Zomeg because one doctor got me nervous about heart attacks and Zomeg/Immitrex/those sister drugs. I still take Zomeg .25 mg

The best medicine I have used so far was Frova, however with no insurance I am at the mercy of whatever samples my doctor has…usually it seems to be Maxalt which helps some if I take it soon enough.

I was just going to ask if anyone had tried Frova. The dog gave me a prescrip to try next time i got a headache and I havent gotten it filled to try it yet.

Bon-It seemed to work well for me, although in the past some of the other medicines have seemed to work initially but then not as much and I only tried the Frova maybe four or five times.

Great typo Bon-The dog gave you a prescription…love it ! And I trust my dog more than I do most doctors anyway!
Hugs :slight_smile:

You sure are right, I had to check back on that one, and your right i would much rather take something from the DOG!!!

I am due to go back to my neuro, so I will get the Frova filled for NOW. I am dreading going back to my neuro. He is SOOOOO frustrating.

First we will hit the subject of WHY WON"T I GET BOTOX INJECTIONS, again. Why? cause it cost’s $500 in your office MF, that’s why, and I can’t even get the imitrex filled all the time for all my migraines, THAT"s WHY, I did it once, it hardly helped, and I can’t afford to do it every three months like you want. He’s a butthead. The we have to have a talk about changing my pain meds. Now he gives me Stadol. Stadol sucks. I hate it. I want something else.

I want a new neuro. That is what i want. Why is it that there are so little dr’s that treat Migraines. You would think there would be alot more in the area i live in!!!

ZOMEG works if you catch it on time. If you are new to the drug, you get relief within fifteen minutes or so; that is the pill, with the shot it is sooner. Once you are immune to the drug, it is down to an hour. But it is the only pill (outside of Excedrine) that gives you relief, without having a cloud over your head, or a lingering one beneath the surface. Zomeg can make you groggy (not bad), and you have to check with your doctor because it can cause heart palpatations (not with me), but it is the best thing I know of, as before it, I used: Excedrine, Sudafed, Sudafed, Excedrine, and Ben-Gay for the head.

Nothing over the counter can even touch my migraines… and the auras are terrible too.
I get best results from the Imitrix redi-pen shots. In less than 15 minutes you are pain free without too much of a hangover.
and I am with DBLTRBL I can’t get enough of the meds each month to meet my migraine habit!!! hahahaha that is a huge gallows laugh

My neurologist can’t relate to migraines at all, he shakes his head and says “I’ve never had a headache” I wanna strangle him sometimes…
Only a migraine sufferer can relate or have compassion.
I’m so glad to be able to talk to yall about it!
I’m tired of being called “sickly”

I was very frustrated with a neurologist. He had me do a journal–even after I have been suffering with them since a child. I told him I already knew what triggered my migraines: weather-barometric pressure change, menstrual cycle, godly perfume, smoke, exhaustion, excitement, sleep deprivation, upset, and…, anyway, all he gave me was Tylenol and Codeine, which was a narcotic and just masked the pain; I always could feel it there. It was my general practitioner who gave me the Immitrex/later Zomeg because of insurance purposes (same benefit from both). Now, as I live in another state, my jnew general practioner prescribes my medicine (Zomeg 2.5 mg.) It is the best so far for me.

The neurologists have you going all over the place, trying this and that, among Botox. If it’s not working, it’s time to move on. They say beta-blockers are helpful for prevention, however, I have not tried that therapy and I don’t want to keep taking a lot of medication that I have no clue how it will affect my body (with later results). Until they say it is harmless AND MEAN IT, I am staying with Zomeg. I am planning on consulting a headache clinic. When I do, I will let everyone know the results.

OH, I forgot the biggie: WINE and alcohol. And I love to have a few glasses of wine. I have to be very careful, particularly when it’s raining. Do you believe it? Some days I can have 1,000 (giggle, only kidding), and some days, I can have one glass of wine and be in bed the following day for a day or two. AWFUL!!!

River-You are the first person I have ever heard refer to the migraine “hangovers” as I have always called them…I thought it was just me that had them!

ML…I would love to hear your experience when you go to the headache clinic…let us know!!!

I did get the Frova filled. My opinion?? For my $50 copay, it didn’t do a thing for my migraine. Nothing. I tried all 9 pills, not at the same time of course, but i guess I can knock this medication off my list.

I also get the migraine “hangovers” that last from one to two days and I feel HORRIBLE.

I drive a DAV van for the VA Medical Center in New Hampshire. Recently, I was picking up several veterans for 7:00 am appointments. They lived more than an hour drive from the hospital. So I had to drive before dawn. After picking up the first two an oncoming car hit me with his high beams. Bingo! I was blind. Somehow I turned into a gas station and managed to stop without driving into the building or the gas pumps. I parked for about 5 minutes before my vision returned and I was able to get all the patients to their appointments. For that 5 minutes I wondered what would happen if I remained blind for an hour or two as sometimes happens. The guys in the van didn’t make a sound while I was parked with my hands over my eyes.